JLP wdm-ks player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: JLP wdm-ks player

Post by sbgk »

cvrle59 wrote:Gordon,
I don't know what to say here. I was probably most excited among all of us here, at the beginning, considering all the features of SL. But I learnt couple of things through this second episode.
First of all that MQn still rules (up until now), and second of all that I actually listen to the music with MQn vs jumping from track to track or from album to album, either on my phone or my remote web browser controller. MQn feels like a good old school, turn table and records. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if you finished 24 version of it, and from there you may want to try to make it to run on KS, or either a Linux version of it. I could live with it for long time.
It's up to you what you're going to do, but I wouldn't be discouraged by people like lekt or julf.
Thanks for your hard work!
0% chance of me doing a linux version

think could have lms interfacing with a ks version of mqn, configurable using using the local file option.

we're into the 3rd week of JLP, it already sounds great.
erin

Post by erin »

sbgk wrote:
John Dot wrote:
sbgk wrote: am going to try getting profile guided optimisation going tomorrow.

have switched off the start squeezelite at server start option and created a batch file with the following in it.

C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQ12E0~1.EXE -o "SPDIF Out (Amanero Technologies Streaming) [Windows WDM-KS]" -d output=none -a 1 -b 0:2000000

you could use C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQ12E0~1.EXE -l

to list the devices
Great, but I don't know how to make such bat by myself. Could you upload example bat, please?
My PC knowledge is almost gone :)
have uploaded start and list devices bat files, start will need your device name, copy it to make ones for other devices
Can someone advise where the batch files are uploaded? I can not find them anywhere

Thanks
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
erin

Post by erin »

cvrle59 wrote: If you back up little bit, and follow story about .bat file which calls squeezelite-win.exe, you will find answer to your question. When you call it with that batch program you actually passing your device as a parameter to the SL-win. The second .bat is used to list your devices, that you can paste into the first one, but it didn't work. The only way for me was to run one of the old versions to read exact name of my device, and I inserted it into that .bat, everything came to normal.
I hope this helps.
I reread what you have written and I get the idea now.
but I tried putting this text into notepad and saving it as "list devices.bat"
"C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQ12E0~1.EXE -l "

It brings up a dos box which disappears. I cant read it....

What am I doing wrong?

I also guess that this text below is meant to be for starting squeezlite so I need to put this text into a .bat file:

C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQ12E0~1.EXE -o "SPDIF Out (insert usb converter name here) [Windows WDM-KS]" -d output=none -a 1 -b 0:2000000

is this correct?
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
Julf

Post by Julf »

sbgk wrote:Wait until JULF produces his version :)

If he produces a linux version then that might be useful.
Definitely no plans to do my own player (as I feel the current squeezelite is more than good enough), but always happy to help should you decide to try a linux version. I am also sure Adrian (Triode) is likewise happy to try incorporating your modifications into the mainline version.
Last edited by Julf on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Gordon,
Don't get me wrong, please. I care about Linux version as much as I do about weather at the South Pole. I kind of read from one of your post that you had an idea, so I was wrong.
Cheers!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
m5lig

Post by m5lig »

Earlier there was a request for documentation on how to implement sbgk's squeezelite. Here is what I did , some steps may be missing , but I have it working,and it sounds better than MQN as others have noted. I can't quite cme to terms with sbgk's prolific output.

1) Download and run Logitech Media Server (LMS) http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

2) Run LMS as an administrator by right clicking on the LMS Control Panel ( LMSCP) icon in the start menu. If you're not running as admin a red warning message will appear in the LMS control panel menu

3) In the LMSCP click on the status menu . For now I've opted a) to start LMS manually b ) click the start option in this window

4) Click on the advanced menu tab of LMSCP. Click on web remote control. This will open a web browser window with LMS in a tab.

5) In that browser window look for a Settings button at the bottom right. Click it. Then click the plugin tab that comes up about 2/3 of the way along the tabs that you can see.

6) A long list of plug ins will be displayed. Look for Local Player ( v1.5 ) author is triode. Put a tick in the box to the left of the title.The plug in will be retrieved and installed. Once installed go back to that long list and look to the far right column. There should now be an option to select a settings button for Local Player (v1.5). Click on it. A window will appear allowing settings for squeezelite . At this stage I do a cold restart of the computer. Old habits die hard.

6b) on restart do not restart LMS until file substitutions have been made.

7) Next I did the file substitutions putting Sbgk's in place of the original squeezelite files. The squeezelite files are in a normally hidden file which needs to become visible by telling the operating system ( in my case W8.1 ) to make them visible .Go to the OS's Control Panel > Folder options>view menu. Tick the show hidden files option.

8) Go to C:\Programdata\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\LocalPlayer\Bin there you will see two files that need to be replaced with sbgk's. The two files are 1) portaudio.dll and squeezelite-win .
I renamed these two origportaudio.dll and origsqueezelite but they can be renamed anything you like.

sbgk's files are 1) portaudio_x64dll.v17.dll and 2) squeezelite-win.exev19 ( as of 27 January ) . New versions come out at head spinning speed. for 1) rename and remove the v17.dll bit so you are left with portaudio_x64.dll .

same for file 2) rename and remove v19 so you are left with squeezelite-win.exe

Paste the two renamed sgbk files into the bin folder above.

9) Verify that your OS recognises your DAC/USB converter / speaker whatever your output device is via control panel because this will have to match the output device LMS will use.

10) Start LMS , via its control panel go to the plugins list again, and again go to Local Player ( v1.5 ) settings button . Make your output device selections in this window and the squeezelite parameters can be specified through this window as well. The i icons explain each of the selections that can be made .The parameters are listed here with syntax https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/ also clickable through the third down i icon in that window.

The hard bits are done.

Tell LMS where your music library is so you can select the tracks you want to play.

Turn the volume right down on your system to begin with in case somewhere in the chain ,something is set to maximum and you risk your hearing and speakers.

Big thanks to sbgk and other contributors for this philanthropic effort.
Asrock z87m extreme4, i5 4670K, winserver2012 R2, paul pang usb card v1, sotm dx usb, minidsp 4x10 Hd, rotel 1066 amps, linkwitz LX521 speakers.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

m5lig wrote:Earlier there was a request for documentation on how to implement sbgk's squeezelite. Here is what I did , some steps may be missing , but I have it working,and it sounds better than MQN as others have noted. I can't quite cme to terms with sbgk's prolific output.
M5lig

It is my impression that current consensus (and also my opinion) is that JLP is very good, but not yet up to the level of the best MQn engines.
m5lig wrote: 1) Download and run Logitech Media Server (LMS) http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

2) Run LMS as an administrator by right clicking on the LMS Control Panel ( LMSCP) icon in the start menu. If you're not running as admin a red warning message will appear in the LMS control panel menu

3) In the LMSCP click on the status menu . For now I've opted a) to start LMS manually b ) click the start option in this window

4) Click on the advanced menu tab of LMSCP. Click on web remote control. This will open a web browser window with LMS in a tab.

5) In that browser window look for a Settings button at the bottom right. Click it. Then click the plugin tab that comes up about 2/3 of the way along the tabs that you can see.

6) A long list of plug ins will be displayed. Look for Local Player ( v1.5 ) author is triode. Put a tick in the box to the left of the title.The plug in will be retrieved and installed. Once installed go back to that long list and look to the far right column. There should now be an option to select a settings button for Local Player (v1.5). Click on it. A window will appear allowing settings for squeezelite . At this stage I do a cold restart of the computer. Old habits die hard.

6b) on restart do not restart LMS until file substitutions have been made.

7) Next I did the file substitutions putting Sbgk's in place of the original squeezelite files. The squeezelite files are in a normally hidden file which needs to become visible by telling the operating system ( in my case W8.1 ) to make them visible .Go to the OS's Control Panel > Folder options>view menu. Tick the show hidden files option.

8) Go to C:\Programdata\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\LocalPlayer\Bin there you will see two files that need to be replaced with sbgk's. The two files are 1) portaudio.dll and squeezelite-win .
I renamed these two origportaudio.dll and origsqueezelite but they can be renamed anything you like.

sbgk's files are 1) portaudio_x64dll.v17.dll and 2) squeezelite-win.exev19 ( as of 27 January ) . New versions come out at head spinning speed. for 1) rename and remove the v17.dll bit so you are left with portaudio_x64.dll .

same for file 2) rename and remove v19 so you are left with squeezelite-win.exe

Paste the two renamed sgbk files into the bin folder above.

9) Verify that your OS recognises your DAC/USB converter / speaker whatever your output device is via control panel because this will have to match the output device LMS will use.

10) Start LMS , via its control panel go to the plugins list again, and again go to Local Player ( v1.5 ) settings button . Make your output device selections in this window and the squeezelite parameters can be specified through this window as well. The i icons explain each of the selections that can be made .The parameters are listed here with syntax https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/ also clickable through the third down i icon in that window.

The hard bits are done.

Tell LMS where your music library is so you can select the tracks you want to play.

Turn the volume right down on your system to begin with in case somewhere in the chain ,something is set to maximum and you risk your hearing and speakers.

Big thanks to sbgk and other contributors for this philanthropic effort.
What I miss in this very clear and helpful description, is the use of the two .bat files Gordon created. The use of that .bat requires some modification to the way the LocalPlayer plugin is treated by LMS at startup.

A small remark, the parameters you referred to on the code.google page are for the Linux implementation of Squeezelight. Minor differences exist with the windows implementation. Running squeezelignt-win.exe -? will show you the current parameters for windows.

Thank you for creating a clear guide for the new users of JLP.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
m5lig

Post by m5lig »

Thanks Aleg ,

I left out the batch file step because of my severe lack of knowledge of this area. But I would be grateful for additions to the steps so many can experience the joys of these players.

I'll revisit MQN based on your observations . As I recall the 2.7 suite was well regarded.

I must confess that I had trouble with the naming of the MQN files and remembering what i had running , whereas the JLP files sequentially numbered are easier to remember.
Asrock z87m extreme4, i5 4670K, winserver2012 R2, paul pang usb card v1, sotm dx usb, minidsp 4x10 Hd, rotel 1066 amps, linkwitz LX521 speakers.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

erin wrote:
cvrle59 wrote: If you back up little bit, and follow story about .bat file which calls squeezelite-win.exe, you will find answer to your question. When you call it with that batch program you actually passing your device as a parameter to the SL-win. The second .bat is used to list your devices, that you can paste into the first one, but it didn't work. The only way for me was to run one of the old versions to read exact name of my device, and I inserted it into that .bat, everything came to normal.
I hope this helps.
I reread what you have written and I get the idea now.
but I tried putting this text into notepad and saving it as "list devices.bat"
"C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQ12E0~1.EXE -l "

It brings up a dos box which disappears. I cant read it....

What am I doing wrong?

I also guess that this text below is meant to be for starting squeezlite so I need to put this text into a .bat file:

C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQ12E0~1.EXE -o "SPDIF Out (insert usb converter name here) [Windows WDM-KS]" -d output=none -a 1 -b 0:2000000

is this correct?
the issue with the batch files is I copied in a shortened version of the path, just repace it with your own path and it should work
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Julf wrote:
sbgk wrote:Wait until JULF produces his version :)
If he produces a linux version then that might be useful.
Definitely no plans to do my own player (as I feel the current squeezelite is more than good enough), but always happy to help should you decide to try a linux version. I am also sure Adrian (Triode) is likewise happy to try incorporating your modifications into the mainline version.[/quote]

what would be Adrian/Triode's motivation to change his code ? That would be admitting that the way the software was written affects the sound, think that would open him up for criticism by the likes of yourself who believe that if it can't be measured then there can't be any effect.

So why do you think he would be happy to make changes not supported by science and facts ?