MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
cvrle59

Re: MQN

Post by cvrle59 »

sbgk wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:
sbgk wrote:I was looking to see those, damn me...you need to actually dump them into that box.
Thanks

Yes, but it's a very rewarding dump
I have to wait until I get home after work to give it try. But, before that I need to help sima66 to get him going on this. He wasn't sleeping last night at all...LOL.
BTW, how do you like my signature?
I like it, but not sure how it fits in with the GPUv3 licence terms for portaudio and you're using squeezelite so a tricky one.
Something for you to think about, but I was inspired last night as you can see.
I did touched last night Radio streaming little bit in one of my posts, but there is more to it.
My focus was on stations like Naim, Linn and Radio Paradise, streamed at 320kbps rate. In MQn days I was forced to listen those through JRiver, but I wasn't too excited about.
In the other hand, I wanted to give a try to Qobuz, the only 16/44 streaming, that I know about ,so far. They still run a month free trail, but you need to download and use their so called. "Qobuz Desktop" player. I wasn't impressed even with that one.
When I turned last night any of those 320kbps stations through MQnSqueeze, they just killed Qobuz 16/44 streaming. Something else to think about, for you...something like Qobuz plugin or so.:)
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

cvrle59 wrote:...
When I turned last night any of those 320kbps stations through MQnSqueeze, they just killed Qobuz 16/44 streaming. Something else to think about, for you...something like Qobuz plugin or so.:)

If you look at the third party plugins (after you clicke "Show all 3rd party plugins") you see there already is a Qobuz plugin for LMS.
And I can confirm it does work.

Now just have to get this LMS playing some tunes.

Cheers
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Aleg wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:...

If you look at the third party plugins (after you clicke "Show all 3rd party plugins") you see there already is a Qobuz plugin for LMS.
And I can confirm it does work.

Now just have to get this LMS playing some tunes.

Cheers
I should be smart enough to find it myself, but obviously not.
Got it working, but on computer only for now. I'll give it try tonight with full system.
Thanks Aleg!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sima66

Post by sima66 »

cvrle59 wrote:
sbgk wrote:I was looking to see those, damn me...you need to actually dump them into that box.
Thanks

I have to wait until I get home after work to give it try. But, before that I need to help sima66 to get him going on this. He wasn't sleeping last night at all...LOL.
And make sure that YOU don't miss anything! ;-) Me and 14 years old slivovitza are waiting for you! If you are late, in the end it might me only me!

Since last couple of pages, after we stop speaking English, I'm completely lost. :( Maybe I have a missing driver in my head?! Need update!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

sima66 wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:
Thanks

And make sure that YOU don't miss anything! ;-) Me and 14 years old slivovitza are waiting for you! If you are late, in the end it might me only me!

Since last couple of pages, after we stop speaking English, I'm completely lost. :( Maybe I have a missing driver in my head?! Need update!
You need new firmware, driver is fine...lol!
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Aleg wrote:
Very enticing that remark, Gordon.

I'm going to give it a try today with a 2012R2 USB3-stick.

Nigel, I'm sorry but I think our little MQn-test might have to be postponed, but I'm sure you won't mind. I'm very curious to compare the portaudio-mod.

Gordon, do you know if LMS will read Id3-tags from WAV-files?
I must confess I didn't check if my wav-files I used for testing Daphile last time were properly tagged, but they weren't shown in the catalog inside Daphile.

I will return ;-)

Cheers

Aleg

I got it to work on Windows 2012 R2.
Wasapi only when desktop experience feature was installed (which also installs media foundation).

Going back to Full GUI I can still use KS (and ASIO in original portaudio) but no longer wasapi (inside LMS that is). MQn still plays over wasapi of course.

So the only way to compare LMS with mod-ed portaudio to MQn was in Full GUI-mode (and not Minimal Server or Core as I was using before).

I have all software installed on a USB3-stick, all music comes from NAS and I am using the same registry tweaks and timerreolution/clockrate/buffersize for both players.
For LMS I used the KS-driver and used advanced setting "-a 2" and "high amount of RAM for database".

First I must say the modification by Gordon made a huge difference to the default portaudio. The original sounding shrill and harsh, nearly unlistenable, but the modification removed that completely and became very pleasant to listen to.

Comparing LMS to MQn. I still prefer MQn. Not a huge difference as with the original portaudio (or Daphile last week), but still a difference that would keep me with MQn for now.
The bass-notes go deeper with MQn and also the amount of acoustic vibration showing through is more. As is the spatial character of the sound, there is more depth, separation and air to the instruments. With LMS it still does remain somewhat 'flatter' in presentation, certainly not unpleasant and also very good to listen to for longer periods. But it does not (yet?) have that highly remarkable and 'wow' level of MQn.

It is certainly promising enough to keep comparing any new releases or tweaks, given the huge improvement over default portaudio.

Cheers

Aleg
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
sima66

Post by sima66 »

For God sake, what is LMS?! Is this the name of our new player?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sima66 wrote:For God sake, what is LMS?! Is this the name of our new player?
LMS is Logitech Media Server and is what is managing the library and is feeding the SqueezeLite player that Gordon has mod-ed.

Cheers

Aleg
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Aleg wrote:
sima66 wrote:For God sake, what is LMS?! Is this the name of our new player?
LMS is Logitech Media Server and is what is managing the library and is feeding the SqueezeLite player that Gordon has mod-ed.

Cheers

Aleg
Thanks Aleg, the fog is a bit lighter now!
My head is still spinning and spinning......... definitely need to be replaced with SSD!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

ok

tested MQNsqueeze vs mqn and its very very good, just not as good as mqn (resolution and wow factor as aleg says)
beats the crap out of Daphile though
and not bad for a couple of days mqn development
is there much more that can be done?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's