Wanted Record Collections To Buy

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
nige2000

Re: Wanted Record Collections To Buy

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
tony wrote:What's Brickwalled Dave?

I am in the same situation Maciej. want to get rid of them before they become potentially worthless. Hopefully I could raise enough money to buy 30 sheets of emi paper!
Top tracks are brickwalled, bottom ones are the original. It is increasing loudness and limiting peaks thereby having it playback louder but losing dynamics. Aka "the loudness wars".

terrible practice,

doesn't this also spread to new recordings where the end result is tested on the ipod with the ear buds and then adjusted for them, effectively loosing half the music
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Aleg wrote:

I am in the same situation Maciej. want to get rid of them before they become potentially worthless. Hopefully I could raise enough money to buy 30 sheets of emi paper!
Top tracks are brickwalled, bottom ones are the original. It is increasing loudness and limiting peaks thereby having it playback louder but losing dynamics. Aka "the loudness wars".

I think I’ve heard this term from Fran, never bothered to check it out. Nicely explained in Wikipedia.
I can hardly see some niche, self-respecting musician to allow to his producer to turn his music in to big lump of noise, I think it’s mainly some Rammstein stuff.
tony

Post by tony »

In most cases the artist either probably doesn't know or has no control over what the publishers do.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Alltheyoungdudes

Post by Alltheyoungdudes »

"Brickwalling" is probably the single most annoying aspect about so many modern masterings (and quite a few reissues of earlier titles.) I have spent a lot of time and effort tracking down the best digital versions of my favourite albums and it's well worth it (many of them are easily available.) Some bad examples of brickwalling include REM's And I Feel Fine... compilation, most of Stevie Wonder's remasterings Smiths remasters, Steely Dan etc. One recent bad example I came across was the CD included with the DVD Audio of Jackson Browne's Running On Empty. (The DVD Audio is fine) Luckily I have an earlier version that sounds great...there are hundreds of others I could list.

Here's is a handy Dynamic Range database of various versions of your favourite albums (look at Springsteen's latest - brickwalled to death!)

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

tony wrote:In most cases the artist either probably doesn't know or has no control over what the publishers do.
Sure if they are capable of composing the music ( not some artist who wholly relay on somebody else) they should be able to tell what’s the difference in-between how they sound in the studio while recording the album and then afterwards when the cd is being realised. Do not they have impact at all on what is the engineer tweaking in the studio?
If this is general rule for today’s recordings (Brickwalling) then there is no future in fidelity of sound reproduction, so there is no point of any of us investing in high quality systems as we will run out of music. I can already feel this! I always return to some favourite albums but always seek something new.......
I think I recall when I asked Fran about this now, why there is so much music in these days that sound awful. I played one of PJ Harvey new albums which is absolutely terrible to listen besides the grunge style. Does not matter how good your system is you will not be able to pick up or separate the instruments. 20 years earlier the same singer on DRY sounds totally different.
Seán

Post by Seán »

nige2000 wrote:
Aleg wrote:

terrible practice,

doesn't this also spread to new recordings where the end result is tested on the ipod with the ear buds and then adjusted for them, effectively loosing half the music
Young people mainly listen to music reproduced in mp3 format so they will not hear the difference, in fact, it is 'easier' to hear music when it is loud and there is no dynamic range it doesn't bother them, they never miss what they've never had.

My twenty something kids would never dream of sitting alone in a room listening to music; they always seem to have headphones or ear buds and listen to it in the background when using their laptops, etc.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler