MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

2 CPU PC could be fun. i looked into that. a lot of registry tweaks can be applied. think you can choose to route data from CPU to nearest RAM to nearest DAC. you can put everything on 1 CPU, officially supported by Microsoft. the other CPU can be of your service entirely.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote:2 CPU PC could be fun. i looked into that. a lot of registry tweaks can be applied. think you can choose to route data from CPU to nearest RAM to nearest DAC. you can put everything on 1 CPU, officially supported by Microsoft. the other CPU can be of your service entirely.
why aren't multicore cpu's any good for you, the L1,L2 and L3 cache are separate ? I thought you mentioned MS affinity tool a while back that can assign IRQ's etc to the required cores. I used it once and it made a small difference.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:havnt tried ferrite cores yet but
all these things seem to matter quite a bit
spinning hard drives are a disaster especially if not externally powered
there are issues that cant be addressed within the software,
analogue engineering?
first time I'd tried it on the usb cable from drive to pc as thought it would be immune ,the drive had a linear supply and ferrite on the dc cable already. Just made a loop and clamped one of the maplin ferrites where the 2 cables of the loop joined and also had a ring ferrite which I just placed on top of the usb connector as it goes into the pc.

until I can afford a 2tb ssd I'll just have to make do with spinning disks.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:2 CPU PC could be fun. i looked into that. a lot of registry tweaks can be applied. think you can choose to route data from CPU to nearest RAM to nearest DAC. you can put everything on 1 CPU, officially supported by Microsoft. the other CPU can be of your service entirely.
why aren't multicore cpu's any good for you, the L1,L2 and L3 cache are separate ? I thought you mentioned MS affinity tool a while back that can assign IRQ's etc to the required cores. I used it once and it made a small difference.
i tried affinity tool too. makes SQ worse. coz it is intended for multi-processors. not multi-core.

windows routes IRQ signal by shortest "physical distance".
if somehow you choose a board where DAC+hdd+RAM is near CPU1.
everything else(NIC, GPU) is near CPU2, you have a perfect setup, in theory.

with one CPU setup, when IRQ comes, it enters the CPU, that decreases SQ regardless whether you select a core or not by affinity tool. all cores are inside the same CPU anyway. that how i feel about it. maybe i am not making any sense haha

(the idea is making sure IRQ never enters that CPU responsible for audio streaming)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote:
sbgk wrote:
i tried affinity tool too. makes SQ worse. coz it is intended for multi-processors. not multi-core.

windows routes IRQ signal by shortest "physical distance".
if somehow you choose a board where DAC+hdd+RAM is near CPU1.
everything else(NIC, GPU) is near CPU2, you have a perfect setup, in theory.

with one CPU setup, when IRQ comes, it enters the CPU, that decreases SQ regardless whether you select a core or not by affinity tool. all cores are inside the same CPU anyway. that how i feel about it. maybe i am not making any sense haha

(the idea is making sure IRQ never enters that CPU responsible for audio streaming)
I tried it and it works with a small gain in SQ, if you look at resource monitor it calls cores CPUs so think there is confusion between
naming conventions, but in resource monitor you can see which core/cpu the interrupt is working on. Also in the intflltr instructions it mentions hyperthreading so again confusion between cores/cpus and processors.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

anybody tried fidelizer 4 with mqn ?
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:anybody tried fidelizer 4 with mqn ?
trying it (audiophile level) right now. reduced texture. blurry mellow sound. reduced vibration. stage size -1%. reduced weight. reduced sharpness.

everything is normalized... wtf

stage height contracted by 1% i think.

less air. enhanced digital richness.

reduced 3D into 2D. very tidy 2D positioning.

(15 minutes later)
time to restore my PC.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:anybody tried 4 with mqn ?
ok hadnt tried it in a long while

did a fresh r2 and installed fidelizer on extremist mode
sounded restricted by comparision
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

new player in town, very reasonably priced too.

http://www.danielhertz.com/index.php/master-class
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:new player in town, very reasonably priced too.

http://www.danielhertz.com/index.php/master-class
Yes, very funny that one.
Are there people out there that would fall for this?

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.