MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: MQN

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: weve tested the intel nuc versus dedicated pc's before on battery before, dedicated builds have the edge most likely because there easier to modify the power supplies to the components,
it depends on how far you want to go into the rabbit hole as it gets more and more complicated
the g43 board you have is a great board with the right modifications

we havnt had much gain since 2.71's but funny that they all sound different and i prefer one over another for different tracks

i thought that it was only the optimised pcs (not just power supplies) that would be comparable to these high end branded units and should be matching/bettering them

we will have to find a nad m50 for a shoot out
Yep, agree with Nige - I think the NUC needs tapping into it's on-board PS supplies to supply from external linear/battery - the external DC supply does not bring the magic.

My NAD C3900DD might be worth a shoot-out when I have experimented with it? I'll let you guys know if it worth presenting it at a shoot-out!
if i remember correctly the nuc on the regular power brick was very unimpressive, it took the battery to transform it, but still shy without separate power to cpu and os
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jrling

Post by jrling »

jkeny wrote:
jrling wrote: The other thing I said to you was how about developing software that was effectively "a device close to or in the dac that has a minimal o/s that just controls the loading of data to the dac, an ipad type device can control it. This was inspired by 'Tony's Player' [ http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaud ... 11496.html ]which never got off the drawing board.

So I might buy a NAD M50 and be done with it! Or of even more potential interest the NAD D7050 which conceptually comes close to 'Tony's Player' but with good control on tablets and is a relative steal at £799 in UK.

Happy New Year!
Yes, I liked Tony's/JSwenson's concept player - pity it didn't materialise!

I have a NAD C3900DD which can read & play audio files from USB stick. I was thinking of self-powering a USB stick to listen to the results - haven't got around to this yet. It is based on the same underlying technology s the M51 (DDFA chip) but includes a power amplifier section. This self-powered USB stick configuration ticks the boxes of avoiding externally imported noise but I don't know how good the SMPS of the C3900DD is, particularly when it's also powering the amplifier section
NAD are really being innovative in a market that has been stuck in a rut for decades. I would be really interested to hear how it measures up. I would back it to do really well.

Have you heard the NAD D7050? Streaming to it by Ethernet or Wireless and then one path all the way through to the speakers, I think could be a winner.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

jrling wrote: NAD are really being innovative in a market that has been stuck in a rut for decades. I would be really interested to hear how it measures up. I would back it to do really well.

Have you heard the NAD D7050? Streaming to it by Ethernet or Wireless and then one path all the way through to the speakers, I think could be a winner.
No, Haven't heard this model - looks like it uses the same Zetec (DDFA) chip as the M51 & C3900DD so could well sound she similar. Although as in all things, it depends on the implementation - the M51 implementation being superior to the C3900DD - don't know where the D7050 fits into this scheme?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

The c3900dd with the USB music storage stick powered by battery test, wouldn't the results be similar as the tests I've done here with battery powered storage with PC?
Which I thought was only of minor benefit
Results will depend on how poor the USB power is
I doubt there'll be much in it but it's still worth testing

We will need to benchmark against these high end streamers
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:The c3900dd with the USB music storage stick powered by battery test, wouldn't the results be similar as the tests I've done here with battery powered storage with PC?
Which I thought was only of minor benefit
Results will depend on how poor the USB power is
I doubt there'll be much in it but it's still worth testing

We will need to benchmark against these high end streamers
The C3900dd doesn't have the PS issue that PCs have - it might have other PS issues? In the summer, I tried playing audio from a standard powered USB stick & it wasn't impressive - clean USB power could be a step up but it does depend on the quality of the USB receiver in the NAD?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

wushuliu wrote:I think MQN peaked a little while - the newer versions being variations on a theme. Gordon could probably use a long break anyway.

I also think it's all about the power supply and agree w/ jkeny that the PC needs lots of help in terms of that to go toe to toe with a standalone high priced unit. Something like an Intel NUC that can be made to run off linear power seems a good start.
peaked? far from peaking.

my favorite versions are in order of:
mqn.exe2.2 mod (the version that pissed off sbgk lol)
mqn.exe2.82 (only because it has best piano nuances. treble tune is wrong)
mqnplayer.exe2.71x

good old mqn is most analog, vinyl sounding, raw, full of musical nuances, music focus.
especially after 2.71, it has a lot of sound effects, some versions sound digital. some versions sound like CD also feels like vinyl. soundstage is 3D but unnatural.

the good old raw/vinyl/musical feeling is missing.

new versions tries to be elegant sounding. not better than the good old true real raw rusty sounding.

when i really listening, i feel old mqn.exe actually has higher resolution/details.

many people are after resolution/soundstage. i am after music. old mqn.exe gives me great music (with great resolution of musical nuances). 2.71x gives me good music too.

thx for all the hard work. sbgk.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:
wushuliu wrote:I think MQN peaked a little while - the newer versions being variations on a theme. Gordon could probably use a long break anyway.

I also think it's all about the power supply and agree w/ jkeny that the PC needs lots of help in terms of that to go toe to toe with a standalone high priced unit. Something like an Intel NUC that can be made to run off linear power seems a good start.
peaked? far from peaking.

my favorite versions are in order of:
mqn.exe2.2 mod (the version that pissed off sbgk lol)
mqn.exe2.82 (only because it has best piano nuances. treble tune is wrong)
mqnplayer.exe2.71x

good old mqn is most analog, vinyl sounding, raw, full of musical nuances, music focus.
especially after 2.71, it has a lot of sound effects, some versions sound digital. some versions sound like CD also feels like vinyl. soundstage is 3D but unnatural.

the good old raw/vinyl/musical feeling is missing.

new versions tries to be elegant sounding. not better than the good old true real raw rusty sounding.

when i really listening, i feel old mqn.exe actually has higher resolution/details.

many people are after resolution/soundstage. i am after music. old mqn.exe gives me great music (with great resolution of musical nuances). 2.71x gives me good music too.

thx for all the hard work. sbgk.

Let just say I don't agree at all with your target description of 'proper' music.
I think you are trying to filter out all kinds of things that are part of a recording and a recording environment and try to construct your own sound image of music. Not at all what was put into the recording.

I think MQn hasn't peaked yet and I join in with Tony's sympathies, even though I can playback the 24-bit in 32-bit container in my main using an older engine.
I'm going to have to replace my JKenny MK3 with another DDC to be able to have 24-bit playback in my office system as well.

Thank you Gordon whatever your decision.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

don't need to be obsessed with higher resolution like 24bits. same 16 bits CD version can sound better if recording is well-done.
sometimes i think my analog radio sounds pretty damn good. (maybe the radio channel has good tape). even though the resolution is poor. soundstage is minimum.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

hey aleg since you love 3D soundstage so much, if you want, i can put up a complete tweaking guide on 3D soundstage. only reason i didn't post it coz i feel that it is unnatural. maybe you will like it. the stage has clear boarders, can following all instruments, also has image depth. is this what you like about soundstage? actually sounds very good combining with certain mqn versions.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:hey aleg since you love 3D soundstage so much, if you want, i can put up a complete tweaking guide on 3D soundstage. only reason i didn't post it coz i feel that it is unnatural. maybe you will like it. the stage has clear boarders, can following all instruments, also has image depth. is this what you like about soundstage? actually sounds very good combining with certain mqn versions.
JC

No thanks, I'm not looking for artificial constructs but only for fidelity.
MQn has already helped my a great deal in reaching this.

For those that use speakers to listen to music, I can recommend Acourate DRC for those who want to and can resolve room issues in a digital way. Really superb results.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.