MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

did a quick comparison winRT(asio4all dma mode) vs WASAPI. tested with foobar.

WASAPI wins.
winRT better clarity, good with everything. but the sound isn't free. feels like closed sound with a closed headphone.
jrling

Post by jrling »

I think using windows for high end audio playback is a dreadful idea and I just don't have the time to continue with it as before.

the best solution seems to be a device close to or in the dac that has a minimal o/s that just controls the loading of data to the dac, an ipad type device can control it. Rendering from a pc has too many issues as far as I can see.
A year ago, when I started testing MQn I said to you that Windows was a dreadful idea. I had come from MPDPup on Linux but was unimpressed with that system's SQ.
All I can say now, is thanks for the Windows ride and I continue to be chuffed with the SQ which is the best that I have ever heard - so thanks if you stop now. If you did do 24 bit container and Kernel Streaming, that would be great for us all SQwise, but then I think you should stop.

because .... we will never 'tame' Windows.

All other suggestions seem to revolve around Linux. I ran a thread on CA asking for any suggestions for tailored audiophile OS based on OTHER THAN Windows or Linux. None were forthcoming all having Linux as their underlying OS. Linux is definitely leaner than Windows, but even cut down is still a general purpose OS kernel with stuff going on that is not needed and therefore potentially getting in the way of SQ. MPD is the usual renderer used for Linux transports and to me does not come close to MQn and its development is way less than you have done for MQn.

The other thing I said to you was how about developing software that was effectively "a device close to or in the dac that has a minimal o/s that just controls the loading of data to the dac, an ipad type device can control it. This was inspired by 'Tony's Player' [ http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaud ... 11496.html ]which never got off the drawing board.

So I might buy a NAD M50 and be done with it! Or of even more potential interest the NAD D7050 which conceptually comes close to 'Tony's Player' but with good control on tablets and is a relative steal at £799 in UK.

Happy New Year!
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I haven't experimented a lot with PC-playback like some other people on this forum, so my experience is limited. But, I still feel confident to say that MQn is a hell of a player.
I noted earlier that I used to owe Naim CDS1, one of the most "analog" Naim CD players, but MQn leaves it in the dust. To add to it, I downloaded a HiRez (24/192) album from Qobuz, but I was forced to listen to it with JRMC so far, my DAC doesn't support 32 bit container. I converted it today to 16/44, and just finished listening with MQn. It is day and night, even with less resolution, music is closer to you, there is more air between instruments, simple, it makes you not go back to JR at all.
Gordon, I still can't believe that you won't round this project up somehow. When I say so, I mean, to release a version to support 24 bit container. I can imagine how that one would sound if you bring it to the level of some recent 16/44 versions.
I am still forced to run 2.71, but it does sound better than anything else beside MQn
Happy New Year to all MQn followers and lovers!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

I think MQN peaked a little while - the newer versions being variations on a theme. Gordon could probably use a long break anyway.

I also think it's all about the power supply and agree w/ jkeny that the PC needs lots of help in terms of that to go toe to toe with a standalone high priced unit. Something like an Intel NUC that can be made to run off linear power seems a good start.
Eclipse W6520R/Satori TW29R MTM
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
tony

Post by tony »

Agree with a lot of the comments. But it would be nice to round it off by getting hires playing for all and the options to pause and restart available in earlier versions. Hope to get to the hifiwigwam show this year and it would be nice to use MQn for 16/44 and hi res. It would be great to even close it off in its current state but just make it more polished. It is a winner shame to leave it uncomplete after such hard efforts on Gordon's part.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

wushuliu wrote:I think MQN peaked a little while - the newer versions being variations on a theme. Gordon could probably use a long break anyway.

I also think it's all about the power supply and agree w/ jkeny that the PC needs lots of help in terms of that to go toe to toe with a standalone high priced unit. Something like an Intel NUC that can be made to run off linear power seems a good start.
weve tested the intel nuc versus dedicated pc's before on battery before, dedicated builds have the edge most likely because there easier to modify the power supplies to the components,
it depends on how far you want to go into the rabbit hole as it gets more and more complicated
the g43 board you have is a great board with the right modifications

we havnt had much gain since 2.71's but funny that they all sound different and i prefer one over another for different tracks

i thought that it was only the optimised pcs (not just power supplies) that would be comparable to these high end branded units and should be matching/bettering them

we will have to find a nad m50 for a shoot out
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

I must echo the comments of Tony and cvrle59. MQN has outstripped Jplay as the premium player of 16bit and some of us have been privileged to have heard a 24bit version that worked(via CiúnasDAC) a few months ago and again the sound was better than other players. It's probably wearying to continue development of 16bit versions but a 24bit (in 24bit container)version would be much appreciated before Gordon takes a break.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:I must echo the comments of Tony and cvrle59. MQN has outstripped Jplay as the premium player of 16bit and some of us have been privileged to have heard a 24bit version that worked(via CiúnasDAC) a few months ago and again the sound was better than other players. It's probably wearying to continue development of 16bit versions but a 24bit (in 24bit container)version would be much appreciated before Gordon takes a break.
Which version are you leaning towards ken?

I would like to have native 24 bit playback with the counts
if at all possible
but I must admit that the 24 bit conversions to 16 bit I've done so far sound better than they did with jplay
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

jrling wrote: The other thing I said to you was how about developing software that was effectively "a device close to or in the dac that has a minimal o/s that just controls the loading of data to the dac, an ipad type device can control it. This was inspired by 'Tony's Player' [ http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaud ... 11496.html ]which never got off the drawing board.

So I might buy a NAD M50 and be done with it! Or of even more potential interest the NAD D7050 which conceptually comes close to 'Tony's Player' but with good control on tablets and is a relative steal at £799 in UK.

Happy New Year!
Yes, I liked Tony's/JSwenson's concept player - pity it didn't materialise!

I have a NAD C3900DD which can read & play audio files from USB stick. I was thinking of self-powering a USB stick to listen to the results - haven't got around to this yet. It is based on the same underlying technology s the M51 (DDFA chip) but includes a power amplifier section. This self-powered USB stick configuration ticks the boxes of avoiding externally imported noise but I don't know how good the SMPS of the C3900DD is, particularly when it's also powering the amplifier section
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: weve tested the intel nuc versus dedicated pc's before on battery before, dedicated builds have the edge most likely because there easier to modify the power supplies to the components,
it depends on how far you want to go into the rabbit hole as it gets more and more complicated
the g43 board you have is a great board with the right modifications

we havnt had much gain since 2.71's but funny that they all sound different and i prefer one over another for different tracks

i thought that it was only the optimised pcs (not just power supplies) that would be comparable to these high end branded units and should be matching/bettering them

we will have to find a nad m50 for a shoot out
Yep, agree with Nige - I think the NUC needs tapping into it's on-board PS supplies to supply from external linear/battery - the external DC supply does not bring the magic.

My NAD C3900DD might be worth a shoot-out when I have experimented with it? I'll let you guys know if it worth presenting it at a shoot-out!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.