Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by jesuscheung »

what went wrong?

very sorry. forgot to mention, not recommended for win8 if you using it. it's for 2012. account needs to be admin.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

emi absorber 3m 5100s is it nonsense?

i had got a couple of sheets a couple of days ago and ive tested on three separate occasions just by resting these sheets over the mobo.

in fairness i was skeptical and had they done nothing i wouldn't have been shocked

yes there was a noticeable difference with one sheet,
but its slight and i had to use my selection of testing tracks to notice it.
sounds just like lowering noise on power supplies which sort of makes sense, clarity, tighter bass and a little more detail

i used the two sheets then which was twice as effective unfortunately

is it worth it?

im going to say yes but its certainly not the first thing to buy when building a audio pc it will likely be the last.

shielding usb cable made more improvement, and was a similar improvement to the difference between a lifepo4 cell for os and the anker supply.

Any ideas on how and where to place absorbers in my pc case will we welcomed as i have no idea
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:emi absorber 3m 5100s is it nonsense?

i had got a couple of sheets a couple of days ago and ive tested on three separate occasions just by resting these sheets over the mobo.

in fairness i was skeptical and had they done nothing i wouldn't have been shocked

sounds just like lowering noise on power supplies which sort of makes sense, clarity, tighter bass and a little more detail

is it worth it?

im going to say yes but its certainly not the first thing to buy when building a audio pc it will likely be the last.

shielding usb cable made more improvement, and was a similar improvement to the difference between a lifepo4 cell for os and the anker supply.

Any ideas on how and where to place absorbers in my pc case will we welcomed as i have no idea
Nigel

Item/Mark gave these tips before
But assuming you don't blanket the entire apparatus, bankrupting yourself and overheating the PC, where best to deploy the stuff? First – exactly as you would when trying to mask a light-bulb to reduce lux levels in an enclosure – tackle the most energetic sources first: the area around the processor, power input, switching regulators, memory, PATA & ATX interfaces. Second, the USB output. Third, the reflection point. Finally, everywhere else.
Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote:emi absorber 3m 5100s is it nonsense?

is it worth it?

Nigel

Item/Mark gave these tips before
But assuming you don't blanket the entire apparatus, bankrupting yourself and overheating the PC, where best to deploy the stuff? First – exactly as you would when trying to mask a light-bulb to reduce lux levels in an enclosure – tackle the most energetic sources first: the area around the processor, power input, switching regulators, memory, PATA & ATX interfaces. Second, the USB output. Third, the reflection point. Finally, everywhere else.
Cheers

Aleg
lol

is that not everywhere?
it certainly will be an a m-itx mobo
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

ok removed the heat spreaders on one stick and put the 5100s on it for testing and results were good so i did both,

i assume that no amount emi/rfi is good, and i cant overuse this stuff?

i know theres people thinks it restricts the bass
but i think noise gets misinterpreted as bass?
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:ok removed the heat spreaders on one stick and put the 5100s on it for testing and results were good so i did both,

Good to see you've started the piecemeal approach, and not just whack it all over the place.

I got several sheets of the 5100 (non S) waiting to be cut. I just need some time (oh how I wish I could create more hours in a day)

Keep us posted.

Cheers

Aleg
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote:ok removed the heat spreaders on one stick and put the 5100s on it for testing and results were good so i did both,

Good to see you've started the piecemeal approach, and not just whack it all over the place.

I got several sheets of the 5100 (non S) waiting to be cut. I just need some time (oh how I wish I could create more hours in a day)

Keep us posted.

Cheers

Aleg
ive always tried to test everything individually to make sure im heading in the right direction,
sometimes going over the top has an adverse effect.

i doubt too much absorber will do harm to the sound (only to the pocket), but i do like to know how much each component is chipping in

couple of links found

http://www.belden.com/resourcecenter/ca ... elding.pdf

http://sotm.godo.co.kr/shop/goods/goods ... =186785451

another thing of note is these haswell builds run co cool you nearly could smother it in absorber without fear of overheating

also worth noting that the absorber for the 2 ram sticks would be less than €10
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

right

msi h87i and z87i need a mod to get rear usb ports working on the pico bypass system
no idea why its not working OOB
so im just feeding the ports direct
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:right

msi h87i and z87i need a mod to get rear usb ports working on the pico bypass system
You're sure you're not having the same problems I had with my Gigabyte Z87 board?
Are these also Renesas USB3 chips?

Cheers
Aleg
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote:right

You're sure you're not having the same problems I had with my Gigabyte Z87 board?
Are these also Renesas USB3 chips?

Cheers
Aleg
nope not that
works fine with the pico

wont matter much now as i cant get it to sound as good as the b85m g43
too noisy, got it close but not quite the same

bit disappointed as all the gear wont fit in the case with a m-atx board

and also discovered that silver plated teflon wire does make a difference as does the heat pipe mechanism of the streacom cases as they earth the cpu

damn it anyway

back to the drawing board