MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Ryelands

Re: MQN

Post by Ryelands »

I'm about to buy a computer to run MQn and am wondering if there is any difference (MQn-wise) between an i3 Haswell and earlier i3 architectures. Comments?

TIA

Dave
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ryelands wrote:I'm about to buy a computer to run MQn and am wondering if there is any difference (MQn-wise) between an i3 Haswell and earlier i3 architectures. Comments?

TIA

Dave
haswell slightly better, lower power and more future proof, but sandybridge and ivybridge are good too so if your on a budget might be worth a look if there coming at a knock.

the short answer is haswell though
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

Ryelands wrote:I'm about to buy a computer to run MQn and am wondering if there is any difference (MQn-wise) between an i3 Haswell and earlier i3 architectures. Comments?

TIA

Dave
Also important is getting a motherboard that allows you to underclock CPU and ram voltage and adjust HPET timer, etc. I also think mobos that have these features tend to be higher quality since they are made to withstand overclocking and regulate changing voltage.

I would also suggest Corsair Vengeance Ram. Granted my experiments have been limited but the sq from Corsair has been consistent across intel and amd platforms and sounds better than other brands I've tried.

Here in the States Amazon allows returns until end of Jan. for holidays so one can try out different brands until you find one that sounds best.

my .02
Eclipse W6520R/Satori TW29R MTM
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sorry. ignore this.
Last edited by jesuscheung on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taggart

Post by taggart »

MQnLoad 0.9.13.1108 beta

CHG: Adding functionality is completely removed (way of implementation wasn't suitable anymore. If needed the function can be newly integrated in future version)
CHG: Parameter "-config" replaced by "-options"
UPD: Quick Start Guide updated
FIX: Modifier key CTRL can now be used in hotkey for playback

If you already have an older version in use, it must just be overwritten by new mqnload.exe.
Then double click on new mqnload.exe once. This will bring up the options dialog. Make your selections if needed, confirm by click on OK (even if no options were changed) and you're ready to go with the new version.

Download: http://bit.ly/1is4g1J
Please read the contained Quick Start Guide!
tanopereira

Post by tanopereira »

taggart wrote:MQnLoad 0.9.13.1108 beta

CHG: Adding functionality is completely removed (way of implementation wasn't suitable anymore. If needed the function can be newly integrated in future version)

If you already have an older version in use, it must just be overwritten by new mqnload.exe.
Then double click on new mqnload.exe once. This will bring up the options dialog. Make your selections if needed, confirm by click on OK (even if no options were changed) and you're ready to go with the new version.

Thank you for the great work you are doing with the loader! It solved me lots of trouble I was having with .flac .
Ryelands

Post by Ryelands »

Haswell slightly better, lower power and more future proof, but sandybridge and ivybridge are good too so if your on a budget . . . the short answer is haswell though
Thanks for your reply. It's less a budget issue than the fact that I'm eyeing a Fit-PC Intense, which AFAIK is SandyBridge. I used a Fit-PC2 in a cMP2 setup for four years - it is very well made and, sound wise, came out well on top in comparisons with conventional mobos. I put that down to its small size. But if the feeling is that there's a significant SQ difference between the various recent architectures, I'd think again. MSI perhaps?
I would also suggest Corsair Vengeance Ram.
Thanks too for those tips. Noted.

Dave
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ryelands wrote:
Haswell slightly better, lower power and more future proof, but sandybridge and ivybridge are good too so if your on a budget . . . the short answer is haswell though
Thanks for your reply. It's less a budget issue than the fact that I'm eyeing a Fit-PC Intense, which AFAIK is SandyBridge. I used a Fit-PC2 in a cMP2 setup for four years - it is very well made and, sound wise, came out well on top in comparisons with conventional mobos. I put that down to its small size. But if the feeling is that there's a significant SQ difference between the various recent architectures, I'd think again. MSI perhaps?
I would also suggest Corsair Vengeance Ram.
Thanks too for those tips. Noted.

Dave
Can only advise on what ive tested,
id stick to micro atx or mini itx,
because it allows clean power to be used relatively easy, and that will give you an advantage over the fit-pc types.
there are may levels of audio-pc, but if you start with the right building blocks upgrades can be made with very little waste.
use major brand names
id use at least 1600mhz ram capable of cl9
i have not come across a perfect motherboard they all seem similar within cpu chipset
i used msi for price and availability reasons
fans to be avoided
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

taggart wrote:MQnLoad 0.9.13.1108 beta

Great job. Thank you.

What happened to SBGK, is he ok?
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
taggart

Post by taggart »

John Dot wrote:Great job. Thank you.
What happened to SBGK, is he ok?
You're welcome!
Don't know. Maybe he's busy with the 24bit version!?