MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Clive101

Re: MQN

Post by Clive101 »

Hi sbgk

Do you have an idea when you'll have a version working for 24 bit DACs i.e dacs that only accepts everything 24 bit "containers", not 32 bit as is most common?

Regards
Clive
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

OK so given recent posts I may not be losing my marbles and we have seen a significant increase in audio playback capability from Microsoft’s new releases :-)

Maybe Microsoft have been paying more than a passing interest in all the PC based Audio Forums and threads popping up over recent years and maybe they have finally reacted to Apple's dominance in this area.....they tend to be slow to react to trends!!!

Cheers, Pearse.

Post by nige2000 »

will the r2 only version of 2.68 differ from 2.68 on r2?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:will the r2 only version of 2.68 differ from 2.68 on r2?
Yes, if I understand correctly sbgk used two commands that are only available on 8.1 and R2 platforms.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jkeny wrote: Here's the intro for all to listen https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzRUtXo ... sp=sharing
Definitely piano sustain pedal noise as the dampers are lifted from the strings. Audible on virtually all closely-mic'ed piano discs, generally "half a beat" after whatever chord has just been played. I'd worry if you couldn't hear it, John!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:......

I believe having wireless running doesn't help the sound, have you tried it without yet ? Do you plan on having a more dedicated machine in future ?

Have you tried the 8.1 - R2 version yet, am interested to see if the raw bypass setting does anything. There are 3 settings specific to 8.1/R2 - hardware offloading (needs a device that has that capability), raw bypass and category (am trying background)

more details about raw here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

category here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx
wireless is bad? yes it is... try tweaking it... for example:

netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled
this will put all network packets processing on 1 CPU core. maybe better for MQn.

go to device manager, set all buffers to max for your wireless driver. reduce the polling rate for wireless. also disable sleep.

[2.68 sse2 intel win 8.1-R2 only] vs [2.66 sse2 dqa dqa 2cl mfence]
-mfence is my favorite sse2 version. more musical. mellower.
-8.1-R2 only is also quite enjoyable. much better clarity.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote:will the r2 only version of 2.68 differ from 2.68 on r2?
Yes, if I understand correctly sbgk used two commands that are only available on 8.1 and R2 platforms.

Cheers

Aleg
I meant did it affect the sound?

Thx
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Got a chance to catch up with all the versions that have been released over the last few days. The 2.66 dqa dqa fence etc versions on initially listening seem in my system to be way too bloated in bass. The 2.68's seem better to me. sse2 and Win8.1/R2 only versions I like. The others also good but to try and rank them would take more time for me. 2.66 v2 was my favourite so will go back and compare it to the 2.68's.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:
jkeny wrote: Here's the intro for all to listen https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzRUtXo ... sp=sharing
Definitely piano sustain pedal noise as the dampers are lifted from the strings. Audible on virtually all closely-mic'ed piano discs, generally "half a beat" after whatever chord has just been played. I'd worry if you couldn't hear it, John!
OK, good, thanks!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
markvandepas

Post by markvandepas »

jesuscheung wrote: 2.68 sse4
-polite like 2.66 v2. being polite has side-effects just like 2.66 v2. e.g. power/weight is less than norm.
-vocal can be kind of control/compressed. eat away some micro-details.
-not the most real/live version. more of a dreamy style.
-maybe slightly less bass than norm. coz treble in piano starts to feel uncomfortable after a while.
-very difficult to tell the best version is in the 2.6x.
Hi SGBK,

I hope this feedback is still useful because I don’t know which exact version I last listened too
(version 265 sse4 intel or 266 sse4 intel). I renamed and overwrote without preserving the original copy.

Anyhow version 268 is definitely NOT THE ONE.
Although ‘jesuscheung’ setup completely differs from mine, I second his description of the sound coming from 268. I think it’s a step back in almost all area’s.

In version 265 (or may be 266) all instruments where clearly separated from each other, and instruments had there own sound character. You could hear a cello is made of resonating wood, trumpets made of metal, ect. The micro-details where excellent and yet not bright, hars, shrill or whatever.
Sound stage and imaging where very good. All instruments where clearly separated and had there own space in the soundstage.
“S” and “T” where good, bass and especially the lower midd’s where very good.

Only criticism that I could come up with on 265/266 could be that: it SOMETIMES seemed to have some ‘reverb’ added. On some live classical recordings the venue seemed huge and spacey. I like too hear the venue, but some times I wondered if this was what the sound- engineer had in mind when he recorded it, or if it was MQN adding some reverb. But that’s the only critic I could find on 265/266. Everyting else perfect for my taste.

So the best version yet too my ears was version 265/266.
If I can find the time I will have a re-listen too 265/266 too see which version I listened too last week.

Mark
Win 8.1 -> RME PCI 9632 AES/EBU digital out -> Mogami W3080-00 AES/EBU XLR -> Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock -> Mogami W3080-00 AES/EBU XLR -> PMC Two Two 8