MQN testing/experimentation thread

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: MQN testing/experimentation thread

Post by jkeny »

sbgk wrote:when people say bits are bits they are really talking about values held in bytes, 8 bits to a byte, 16 bit requires 2 bytes and is called a word. The cpu can't load a single byte from memory, it deals in cache lines which are 64 bytes, so get one byte and you get a whole cache line. There are 3 levels of cache which are usually L1 - 32kb, L2 - 512 kb, L3 3 MB, in a multi core cpu L1 and L2 are dedicated to a core and L3 is shared. So the idea is to load a cache line and pass it through the cpu as efficiently as possible. The penalty for accessing data not in cache is several hundred cycles.

There's a lot going on in the CPU and plenty of things to generate noise, the above description is just a brief intro to the complexities of it all.

so it might be some measurement of things like cache misses correlates to sibilance etc
Yes, cache misses would be another good measurement. Any software which can measure this (which doesn't interfere with the MQN process)? Or would there have to be another approach?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jkeny wrote:
sbgk wrote:when people say bits are bits they are really talking about values held in bytes, 8 bits to a byte, 16 bit requires 2 bytes and is called a word. The cpu can't load a single byte from memory, it deals in cache lines which are 64 bytes, so get one byte and you get a whole cache line. There are 3 levels of cache which are usually L1 - 32kb, L2 - 512 kb, L3 3 MB, in a multi core cpu L1 and L2 are dedicated to a core and L3 is shared. So the idea is to load a cache line and pass it through the cpu as efficiently as possible. The penalty for accessing data not in cache is several hundred cycles.

There's a lot going on in the CPU and plenty of things to generate noise, the above description is just a brief intro to the complexities of it all.

so it might be some measurement of things like cache misses correlates to sibilance etc
Yes, cache misses would be another good measurement. Any software which can measure this (which doesn't interfere with the MQN process)? Or would there have to be another approach?
there are tools that do it while the exe is running vs has profiling as well.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sbgk wrote: there are tools that do it while the exe is running vs has profiling as well.
Have you tried them? It could be very useful not only for proof of differences of MQN versions & also, to possibly add another aspect to differentiate versions that are sounding closer together?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Julf

Post by Julf »

jkeny wrote:One thing though - Audacity FFT spectrum plot only goes down to -90dB which I don't believe is sufficiently low enough for what we want to test here.
Only by default, the range setting can be changed.
Julf

Post by Julf »

jkeny wrote:Lined them both up to the same sample Not too difficult with this track as it has a nice transient from an isolated triangle sound to line up to) - Inverted one file, rendered the two files together & did an FFT on the resultant combined file.
Nothing in the FFT i.e tracks are exactly the same!
But was there something in the file before the FFT - did you look at the "raw" difference?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

jkeny wrote:I believe a good first step would be to use a USB analyser which allows us to look at the electrical signal as well as the logical signal coming out of the USB port.

I don't have such a device. A very fast oscilloscope may well suffice?

DaveF would you be willing or allowed to do such tests? Do you have access to such equipment?
I'd have all the equipment I need at work to do the job but unfortunately there would be no way of being allowed to use it for something like this plus the equipment is all tied up with testing anyway.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

If equipment wasnt issue I'd be inclined to take the digital out just before the DAC and run it into a high speed ADC board connnected to a FPGA PCI-E card in a PC. Take several sample sets and use Matlab to do all the fancy analysis offline to your hearts content.
The ADCs would have to have a sufficient noise floor and high ENOB(effective number of bits) to make sure we have enough resolution.

Using scope to look at a stream in real time might be tricky to get a stable trigger.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

DaveF wrote: I'd have all the equipment I need at work to do the job but unfortunately there would be no way of being allowed to use it for something like this plus the equipment is all tied up with testing anyway.
Yea, I thought it would be restricted to work-only usage.
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

DaveF wrote:If equipment wasnt issue I'd be inclined to take the digital out just before the DAC and run it into a high speed ADC board connnected to a FPGA PCI-E card in a PC. Take several sample sets and use Matlab to do all the fancy analysis offline to your hearts content.
The ADCs would have to have a sufficient noise floor and high ENOB(effective number of bits) to make sure we have enough resolution.

Using scope to look at a stream in real time might be tricky to get a stable trigger.
But that will only be examining the digital logic signal, not the electrical waveform that is the physical form of this logic signal.
It's in this waveform that the noise is likely to be embedded & it's interaction with the USB receiver & downstream circuit may well be where there is some insight to be gained?
www.Ciunas.biz
jrling

Post by jrling »

Saw this article over on CA (sorry SBGK!) -
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conte ... omparison/

Mitch was using readily available tools to do pretty much what we would want to do with MQn by the looks of it. However all in the digital domain and perhaps therefore beyond the limits of the software to detect minute differences? He was comparing JRiver on Windows with JRiver on Mac so perhaps there are actually no differences in that comparison.

Anyone think his approach would work for our experiments?

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub