MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Re: MQN

Post by Sligolad »

Hopefully a last comment on pasting to root drive with no file name.....this all started on JPlay forum i believe some time ago before we discovered that changing to Total Commander and switching off the explorer shell in windows provided a very easy to determine sound improvement.
I suspect it was as much to do with windows explorer as the simple act of moving the file to the root with no file name and I would expect that trying the same experiment in TC would not offer much benefit if any at all.
I for one will not be going after that nugget.....that is if there is any nugget or grain of improvement there, bigger fish to fry as Tony alluded to.
Back to MQN................

Post by cvrle59 »

Sligolad wrote:Hopefully a last comment on pasting to root drive with no file name.....this all started on JPlay forum i believe some time ago before we discovered that changing to Total Commander and switching off the explorer shell in windows provided a very easy to determine sound improvement.
I suspect it was as much to do with windows explorer as the simple act of moving the file to the root with no file name and I would expect that trying the same experiment in TC would not offer much benefit if any at all.
I for one will not be going after that nugget.....that is if there is any nugget or grain of improvement there, bigger fish to fry as Tony alluded to.
It does make sense...
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

DaveF wrote:
jkeny wrote:DaveF, I have done blind tests on early versions on my own but probably not with 100% scientific rigour & could tell the difference between them. Once I could hear the differences & have established to my own satisfaction that I was not fooling myself, I'm not really that bothered in further blind testing.
Fair enough, I was under the impression that nothing like this was done.

From a code point of view, can you remember what was different in the two versions so that it might give a clue as to the underlining causes?
No, don't know the code differences - I had decided early on to wait until later when hopefully some handle on what code changes cause what audible effects would emerge. I think SBGK has hinted at this. Maybe he wants to outline his thoughts on the measurements thread?
Last edited by jkeny on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

cvrle59 wrote:
Sligolad wrote:Hopefully a last comment on pasting to root drive with no file name.....this all started on JPlay forum i believe some time ago before we discovered that changing to Total Commander and switching off the explorer shell in windows provided a very easy to determine sound improvement.
It does make sense...
Cvrle, I'm confused now! What does make sense? As far as I know you are still using Explorer, like I do and your comments were based on that.
Are you now agreeing that it makes difference with Explorer, or what?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Anyone who has ever used a bench supply ALONE to power their computer will see the current draw spikes that happen even when you just move the mouse on the screen - it's a surprising high current spike. Opening/closing windows (with a small m), everything causes current draws. It would be interesting to have a table of current usage Vs windows actions/activities.
Last edited by jkeny on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I think what we are saying is that we are no where near the point where file names or directories are a priority

anyone get trying the new versions yet?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Yep, I do :-)

Trying 2.63 and 2.64 's with some different music types than I mostly listen too.

Jazz piano, double bass, jazz ensemble, jazz vocals, and also my mainstream classical of all kind.

And I must say I still prefer 2.63 due to its greater clarity and detailed sound.
2.64's loose out on clarity IMHO.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

sima66 wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:
It does make sense...
Cvrle, I'm confused now! What does make sense? As far as I know you are still using Explorer, like I do and your comments were based on that.
Are you now agreeing that it makes difference with Explorer, or what?
It makes sense to me that explorer can create some issues itself to effect the sound, but "copying" a file from one spot to another should not result to any changes. Why copying in quotes. Again, if you copy file from one spot to another one (root in this case) in the same media (drive), you are not even touching the bits which produce the music. The table which is used to present location to you by OS changes only. Presentation for you on the screen and how system sees that file is day and night. So now, the program, in this case MQn, moves all these lovely bits from file (drive) to computer memory, and starts playing them from memory location. Who cares what sectors they were stored on the drive any more, and what the name of file was. I pull data from network drive, from local drive, from root, and they all sound to me the same. It could be some other side effects happening at the same time, that we do not understand yet, and they cause the difference in QS.
This is how I get it, at least. Again, I may have issues with my ears, or my tiny Naim/Harbeth system can not capture that difference.
I apologize if that is the case!
Last edited by cvrle59 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:Yep, I do :-)

Trying 2.63 and 2.64 's with some different music types than I mostly listen too.

Jazz piano, double bass, jazz ensemble, jazz vocals, and also my mainstream classical of all kind.

And I must say I still prefer 2.63 due to its greater clarity and detailed sound.
2.64's loose out on clarity IMHO.

Cheers

Aleg
neither of the 2.64 versions was optimal, however I can see that intrinsics has potential, shall do an sse4 and sse2 optimal version and then we can all get back to listening to music.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Cvrle, be my guest. After glass or two of slivovitza everything will make more sense, everything will be much clearer! ;-)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS