MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: MQN

Post by nige2000 »

Pearse try 2.61
see if theres something in it you like

you should try some of the funky bios settings too as an experiment
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Flicked around for awhile tonight on some of the 60's but not the mad named ones but settled on the latest as per Pearse above. Now with sbgk working fervently on 24bit I think this will work for me. If no further progress is made it don't matter. Unless Gordon comes up with some streaming mechanism that needs cat7 cables etc my meicord will be used for routing duties around the house.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

DaveF wrote:
tony wrote:
DaveF wrote:renamed files and directory structures sounding different????
A whole new level of fuckwittery has entered Computer Audio! Sorry guys but that idea is probably one of daftest I've ever heard in hifi.
Did I not answer that question nicely Dave? Your not on the wam now!
I dont post on the wam.

Excuse the manner of my post above but the concept is pretty out there when it comes to whacky ideas! Think about it, renaming a file somehow causes a chain of events so as to change the signal out of the DAC? I'm all for exploring new ideas/concepts but a reality check is needed now and again. This is a public forum so any wild bizzare claims cannot expect not to go unchallenged.
DaveF (I guess I know where the "F" came from), I did not ask you to understand (I don't), TRY IT! It only takes two seconds. Much less than writing your "opinion" on that.
The point is not in "renaming", it is to use only one number or letter in the name (the shorter name (path) the better sound, no folders, or sub-folders, just straight from the C drive.
I guess that all of you who are making fun of the PFM, are nothing better than them!
Just give it a try before you comment on something, because there might be some other things that you don't know about it. Just because you can't understand or make sense of something, doesn't mean that it doesn't work. Not everything can always be explained or understood.
My computer knowledge, from 1 to 10, is around 0.02 (isn't that obvious), but on Marcin's (JPLAY) suggestion I tried this and I liked the difference.
Since we all look for improving the sound (or maybe not), I thought that this tip might be useful. I'm sorry if I raised so many "scientific" explanations and oppositions.
It was just simple advice to try. Take it or leave it, I don't care.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

Sima66
I guess that all of you who are making fun of the PFM, are nothing better than them!

Ouch that hurt. Hope nobody has got to that point. There are 16k+ punters on PFM and lots of nice people.
But if you read the threads on computer audio on that forum 5-7 people descend and mayhem ensues.
If anybody 'laughs' at that here that is instead of going mad with frustration at the carry on.

Very much hope you are not taking that vibe here. My answer was honest but I do agree with you everything should be tried before either condemning or passing an opinion.
My honest view is that it is the cumulative things being discussed that work. There are some big hitters I just passed a remark that I think it is possibly at the low end.

Don't forget Marcin waxed lyrical about the Musica Ibuki dac and various other things. We all change our minds over time and with new info or direction truisms can change.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:
Sima66

Ouch that hurt. Hope nobody has got to that point. There are 16k+ punters on PFM and lots of nice people.
But if you read the threads on computer audio on that forum 5-7 people descend and mayhem ensues.
If anybody 'laughs' at that here that is instead of going mad with frustration at the carry on.

Very much hope you are not taking that vibe here. My answer was honest but I do agree with you everything should be tried before either condemning or passing an opinion.
My honest view is that it is the cumulative things being discussed that work. There are some big hitters I just passed a remark that I think it is possibly at the low end.

Don't forget Marcin waxed lyrical about the Musica Ibuki dac and various other things. We all change our minds over time and with new info or direction truisms can change.
I apologize if I was misunderstood or unintentionally offended anybody! That was never my intention.
My point is that this same guys who are commenting on this matter without trying it, where laughing at PFM for doing the exact same thing (commenting on MQn without trying it).
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Peter_T

Post by Peter_T »

sima66 wrote: DaveF (I guess I know where the "F" came from), I did not ask you to understand (I don't), TRY IT! It only takes two seconds. Much less than writing your "opinion" on that.
The point is not in "renaming", it is to use only one number or letter in the name (the shorter name (path) the better sound, no folders, or sub-folders, just straight from the C drive.
Just give it a try before you comment on something, because there might be some other things that you don't know about it. Just because you can't understand or make sense of something, doesn't mean that it doesn't work. Not everything can always be explained or understood.
My computer knowledge, from 1 to 10, is around 0.02 (isn't that obvious), but on Marcin's (JPLAY) suggestion I tried this and I liked the difference.
Since we all look for improving the sound (or maybe not), I thought that this tip might be useful. I'm sorry if I raised so many "scientific" explanations and oppositions.
If you want to try this with my Autohotkey-Jplay-script : it is still here :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/907 ... cript2.txt
(I could adapt it for MQn, if there is lots of demand)
The script will copy your selected flac or wav file to (a) root dir with the name .flac or .wav (that's right No name, Only dot-extension) and then start Jmini.
I played around with it for a while, thought that it gave a little improvement in overall dynamics on my Quad ESL, but not that much of a difference that I kept using this cumbersome procedure.
The improvement in SQ obtained by replacing the Exporer-shell in W8 with TotalCommander was more noticeable.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

dont worry sima66

all sorts of weird stuff sometimes matter

ill test it soon
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Does anyone know a freebie Flac converter? Why can I never find the free ones?

Peter not for me I got a reality check tonight when my wife laughed at the copying and opening of files. Then mqn.bat and then command prompt screen etc. So any more complication will not be appreciated here! Maybe people should try it first. Will have a go think I have done it already with test tracks loaded on usb stick for testing but will go back again and really listen this time.

Listening away to music and letting albums play all the way through. Live boot leg from soundboard sounds great. Keep saying it but it is hard to see how it gets much better with the equipment I have.

It is the embellishments that are needed now. A version that requires just a nod from the wife to start up her favourite Pink Floyd albums while firing over a pair of ear defenders to my seat is top of the list
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

sima66 wrote:
tony wrote:
Sima66

I apologize if I was misunderstood or unintentionally offended anybody! That was never my intention.
My point is that this same guys who are commenting on this matter without trying it, where laughing at PFM for doing the exact same thing (commenting on MQn without trying it).
I fully intend to try out MQN once my windows PC is back in operation.

As for my "opinion", I have enough technical knowledge to know that its highly unlikely that placing files in the root etc could change sound quality. I'll try certain things if I think there is a technical explanation/reason behind no matter how small but this file thing is stretching it a bit for me.

Not sure what you meant about the F in DaveF but I can take it so no worries. :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Peter_T wrote:
sima66 wrote: DaveF (I guess I know where the "F" came from), I did not ask you to understand (I don't), TRY IT! It only takes two seconds. Much less than writing your "opinion" on that.
If you want to try this with my Autohotkey-Jplay-script : it is still here :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/907 ... cript2.txt
(I could adapt it for MQn, if there is lots of demand)
The script will copy your selected flac or wav file to (a) root dir with the name .flac or .wav (that's right No name, Only dot-extension) and then start Jmini.
I played around with it for a while, thought that it gave a little improvement in overall dynamics on my Quad ESL, but not that much of a difference that I kept using this cumbersome procedure.
The improvement in SQ obtained by replacing the Exporer-shell in W8 with TotalCommander was more noticeable.
that what i would have thought
if there is a difference its small

but its interesting