Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Fran »

Had a go of this tonight. Terrific stuff!

Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I took advantage of that ellington offer from play.com com too!

Fran
Seán

Post by Seán »

Fran wrote:Had a go of this tonight. Terrific stuff!

God, it's great!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Fran wrote:I took advantage of that ellington offer from play.com com too!

Fran
Good for you. Let us know what you think of these recordings, enjoy.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:Had a go of this tonight. Terrific stuff!
I have no idea where this fits in his work but it's my fave Miles' recording. By far.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I could never get into Sketches of Spain, I really must try harder. I think my favourite Miles disc in my limited collection is Someday My Prince Will Come. Straight ahead stuff, no messin'.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well, my favourite is "In a Silent Way" - love that to bits too. But Sketches is a bit different..... but yes, great stuff. Can't understand how I didn;t go there sooner!

Some good jazz on vinyl now available in Tower BTW...

Fran
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Well, my favourite is "In a Silent Way" - love that to bits too. But Sketches is a bit different..... but yes, great stuff. Can't understand how I didn;t go there sooner!

Some good jazz on vinyl now available in Tower BTW...

Fran
I love McLaughlin's understated (for once!) guitar work and sound....I remember recommending this to a friend and he hated it!? Too slow, no rhythm, no structure etc etc..... there really is no accounting for taste :-(
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

So, I'm just looking at my shelves, and to my astonishment I have 10 Miles Davis discs:

Birth of the Cool
Round About Midnight
Kind of Blue
Someday my Prince will come
Sketches of Spain
Cookin'
Relaxin'
Workin'
Steamin'
Blue Moods.

I hardly ever listen to any of them, despite thinking that Miles is brilliant! Really must try harder.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:So, I'm just looking at my shelves, and to my astonishment I have 10 Miles Davis discs:

Birth of the Cool
One of Miles masterful collaborations from 1949 with Lee Konitz and Gerry Mulligan. Immortalised by the Simpson's now I believe.
Kind of Blue
Simply my favourite.
Sketches of Spain
My number two.
Cookin'
Relaxin'
Workin'
Steamin'
Four really tip-top albums from 1956. These were recoded for contractual reasons over just two days and they are really special.
I hardly ever listen to any of them, despite thinking that Miles is brilliant! Really must try harder.
I agree. I think that you might really like Bitches Brew too. For me it had instant appeal.