Osmo Vänskä quits Minnesota

Seán

Osmo Vänskä quits Minnesota

Post by Seán »

Very sad news.
The music director of the Minnesota Orchestra has resigned. Here’s his statement. You read it here first. (We have been told he will say nothing more on the subject and is not available for interview.)

1 October 2013

Press statement from Osmo Vänskä

Today I have given notice of my resignation as Music Director and Conductor for the Minnesota Orchestra Association, effective 1 October 2013.

It is a very sad day for me. Over ten years ago I was honoured to be invited to take up this position. I moved from Finland to the Twin Cities. At that time I made clear my belief that the Minnesota Orchestra could become one of the very greatest international ensembles. During the intervening years I have had the privilege of seeing that belief vindicated through the skill, hard work and commitment of this wonderful group of players and with the valued support of the Board of Directors, management and administration team, volunteers, as well as our exceptional community.

I send my deepest thanks to everyone involved for what we have achieved together and I wish the Minnesota Orchestra all the very best for its future.

Osmo Vänskä
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Re: Osmo Vänskä quits Minnesota

Post by Seán »

I will drown my sorrows by listening to the Eroica performed by the MO under the direction of Osmo Vänskä.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Osmo Vanska conducts musicians in final Minn. concerts

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1041 ... n-concerts
MINNEAPOLIS -- Days after resigning his post at the Minnesota Orchestra, acclaimed conductor Osmo Vänskä took the helm Friday night with locked out musicians at the University of Minnesota.

By John Croman

It was the first of his three final appearances with the ensemble he has led for the past decade. Many of those who came to the sold-out show at the Ted Mann Concert Hall were the now-familiar "Save our orchestra" buttons and T-shirts.

Vänskä resigned when it became clear the musicians would not reach an accord with the orchestra's board by his deadline of noon on Monday. He told both sides in the year-long labor dispute that he would leave if the musicians could not begin rehearsals this week for their Carnegie Hall concerts, set for November.

Vanska moved to Minneapolis from Finland to take the post a decade ago, after making occasional guest appearances with the orchestra for several years prior.

"It is a sad day for me," Vanska wrote in his resignation letter, noting that he joined the orchestra in 2003 with the goal that it would become one of greatest international musical ensembles.

"During the intervening years, I have seen that belief vindicated through the skill, hard work and commitment of this wonderful group of players and with the valued support of the Board of Directors, management and administration team."

The Board of Directors issued the following statement Friday night, in regard to the three concerts Vänskä is taking part in at the University of Minnesota:

"We are very glad that audiences will have an opportunity to see Osmo Vänskä conduct in this community this weekend. Our audiences deserve this concert."

The most recent offer from the Board to the musicians would cut their base salaries by 25 percent in three steps over the next three years. The board is offering the musicians a one-time $20,000 signing bonus if they accept the deal and return to work.

They've been locked out of the Orchestra Hall by management since Oct. 1 2012, but have played several free concerts throughout the Twin Cities in the past year.

Former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell has been working with both sides in hopes of brokering an agreement, but that has been elusive so far.

The orchestra board is attempting to restructure its costs over the long run and started talks by asking for a 32 percent pay cut. In the meantime, major renovations have been completed at Orchestra Hall, but the musicians and Vänskä have not created any music there.

Vänskä moved to Minneapolis from Finland to take the post a decade ago, after making occasional guest appearances with the orchestra for several years prior.

"It is a sad day for me," Vänskä wrote in his resignation letter, noting that he joined the orchestra in 2003 with the goal that it would become one of greatest international musical ensembles.

"During the intervening years, I have seen that belief vindicated through the skill, hard work and commitment of this wonderful group of players and with the valued support of the Board of Directors, management and administration team."

The Board of Directors issued the following statement Friday night, in regard to the three concerts Vänskä is taking part in at the University of Minnesota:

"We are very glad that audiences will have an opportunity to see Osmo Vänskä conduct in this community this weekend. Our audiences deserve this concert."

The most recent offer from the Board to the musicians would cut their base salaries by 25 percent in three steps over the next three years. The board is offering the musicians a one-time $20,000 signing bonus if they accept the deal and return to work.

They've been locked out of the Orchestra Hall by management since Oct. 1 2012, but have played several free concerts throughout the Twin Cities in the past year.

Former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell has been working with both sides in hopes of brokering an agreement, but that has been elusive so far.

The orchestra board is attempting to restructure its costs over the long run and started talks by asking for a 32 percent pay cut. In the meantime, major renovations have been completed at Orchestra Hall, but the musicians and Vänskä have not created any music there.

Vänskä and the musicians will give their final two performances Saturday, in the same venue at the U of M. Those shows are sold-out as well.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Seán!
Back to promote Haydn - thanks for the invite!!! :P

.....but first comment on Vänskä:
I was quite surprised by learning about the salaries of the members of a known symphony orchestra!!! I guess it takes a while to get there in the first place. Vänskä was at first unfamiliar but then I remembered all his recordings with the Lahti SO and dug them up for a listen. It is interesting how he quit due to the canceled Sibelius performances at Carnegie. Definitely a guy that was pushing for Scandinavian composers here in the US so it is kind of sad that he is leaving the orchestra. Did anyone of you listen to the Sibelius (1&4 and 2&5 - I think) that recorded while at the Minnesota Orchestra! I am considering buying them, but would like to hear your impressions first. Yes, I am a Sibelius maniac as well......
Did Vänskä get his shirt in Dublin by any chance? Or it is perhaps a Finnish memento? :)

Seán

Post by Seán »

Peter wrote:Hi Seán!
Hi Peter/Dimma and welcome to Tír Na HiFi I am delighted that you have decided to join us.
.....but first comment on Vänskä:
I was quite surprised by learning about the salaries of the members of a known symphony orchestra!!! I guess it takes a while to get there in the first place. Vänskä was at first unfamiliar but then I remembered all his recordings with the Lahti SO and dug them up for a listen. It is interesting how he quit due to the canceled Sibelius performances at Carnegie. Definitely a guy that was pushing for Scandinavian composers here in the US so it is kind of sad that he is leaving the orchestra. Did anyone of you listen to the Sibelius (1&4 and 2&5 - I think) that recorded while at the Minnesota Orchestra! I am considering buying them, but would like to hear your impressions first. Yes, I am a Sibelius maniac as well......
I do like Vänskä's work, his Sibelius recordings with the Lahti SO are marvellous, I haven't heard his Sibelius recordings with the MO however, his Beethoven cycle with the MO is well worth having, I love it, they were a superb outfit.

The slow demise of the MO is very, vary sad. There is no way back now I feel.
Did Vänskä get his shirt in Dublin by any chance? Or it is perhaps a Finnish memento? :)
I cannot watch youtube videos in work I wil have a look later on and confirm. LOL
fergus

Post by fergus »

Peter wrote:Hi Seán!

Hi Peter; you are very welcome and I hope that you post often.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I don't think I know who Peter is, but if he's coming to promote Haydn, then I'm all ears... ;-)
Peter

Post by Peter »

Jared wrote:^^ I don't think I know who Peter is, but if he's coming to promote Haydn, then I'm all ears... ;-)
I suspect that you all are pushing for Haydn already..? I am hooked on the quartets!!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Peter wrote:
Jared wrote:^^ I don't think I know who Peter is, but if he's coming to promote Haydn, then I'm all ears... ;-)
I suspect that you all are pushing for Haydn already..? I am hooked on the quartets!!!
There are plenty of Papa Haydn fans here too. ;)
Jared

Post by Jared »

Peter wrote:
I seem to recall I spent pretty well all of Summer 2011 engrossed in his quartets... wonderful.

If I was 'hooked' on anything, it would be his Masses... ;-)