What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:... Brahms ....Double Concerto ...
I have not listened to that work in quite a while so I must give it a listen soon....how do you like your version Jared?
Hi fergus,

if you are after a new and refreshing version of this piece, purchase the Repin/ Mork/ Chailly disk on DG (2008)... both the Violin & Double concerto are truly wonderful... the Mutter is good, but its not for me in quite the same league..
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:I really do think that Vivaldi's greatest achievement was in his sacred music. I haven't heard this version, Fergus, but I've always loved Robert King's recordings on Hyperion.
I actually very much agree with that and I think that it is still very much undervalued! I have a few of the King recordings but Negri is also very much worth checking out.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:... Brahms ....Double Concerto ...
I have not listened to that work in quite a while so I must give it a listen soon....how do you like your version Jared?
Hi fergus,

if you are after a new and refreshing version of this piece, purchase the Repin/ Mork/ Chailly disk on DG (2008)... both the Violin & Double concerto are truly wonderful... the Mutter is good, but its not for me in quite the same league..
Thanks for the recommendation Jared and as I said earlier I must revisit this work soon.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Spohr – Clarinet Concertos Nos. 1 & 3....

....lovely gentle and rhapsodic music.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening tonight to Carlo Gesualdo's fourth and fifth books of madrigals (available on Glossa) as performed by La Venexiana who are as commanding in this reportoire as they are in Monteverdi's. Simply beautiful music in unbeatable performances.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Mahler's Symphony No.4

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez played by John Williams....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Fauré’s Requiem / Cluytens....

This is a large orchestra version which I do not normally favour. However, coupled with the wonderful choral singing, there is a lovely sense of gentle, restrained emotion in this recording. Along with the lovely choral singing the solo singing of both de los Angeles and Fischer-Dieskau is very fine, particularly from the latter. Overall, this is a suitably restrained performance and it brings a different perspective to the work for me.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB Cello Suites Nos. 5 & 6 played by Casals....

Casals recorded the suites between 1936 and 1939 and the sound quality reflects this; the listening quality is very good but it is of its time and otherwise does not detract from the performances in any way.

For me these are much more expressive performances than those by Fournier....not necessarily better but different in interpretation naturally. The touch is lighter and less intense and possibly even Romantic. Apparently Casals modernised the fingering technique from sliding to leaping of the fingers of the left hand thereby giving cleaner lines.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB Cello Suites Nos. 5 & 6 played by Rostropovich....

Rostropovich’s playing IMHO is wonderful in its quality, passion and fluidity of the performances. One sits back and admires a master musician playing very personal favourites for his own pleasure. The CD is recorded in a warm acoustic which favours the tone of the cello. I really like this set I must say as he definitely brings something different to these works.