Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

tony i hope you didnt break that usb cable adapter its not a tow rope you know
if you get a usb extension cable use it for power not data
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:tony i hope you didnt break that usb cable adapter its not a tow rope you know
if you get a usb extension cable use it for power not data
I though anything made by you was designed so a tractor could drive over it and it would still work?
Have even heard it said the bits would travel better if a tractor tyre marks are present on the cable.

The extension cable is for the power. If you saw what I am trying to do you see the problem Nigel. Will move the coffee table over beside the audiopc presently and retry.

(Update this now done and battery now supplying usb key on controlpc unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I think it might be the anker for whatever reason the usb key either stays powered on all the time(constant blue light) or nothing. It did play a song or two but bombed out.)
Funnily enough the cable works when plugged into the laptop for power and fires up fine. So not sure what the issue is.Maybe a different cable or a second anker to test might find the issue.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

So, I know i'm well behind he curve on this, but today I tried out some SLA batteries. These were ones I've had lying around for ages, and are 7Ah ones I think. Voltage off both was at 12.5V sitting at idle. I inserted them in series with the CPU and with the line to the picoPSU. I have yet to rig up something for the USB stick.

Sound did gain a little alright - I was using a track "heart of hearts" from Mick Hanlys excellent album "Live at the Meeting Place". Superb recording, and great music too. Anyway, Niamh Kavanagh sings this one, and with the batteries, her voice just has a little more realism and the guitar lead (sounds like lead played on a semi-acoustic) has just a little more dynamics. Like any of these things I'd need to listen for longer and compare with more tracks etc etc. But suffice to say I think there's a difference there worth pursuing alright. Next will be to try out a battery supply to the USB stick - I thought I might have had something lying around, and old NiMH type, but couldn't find anything. I'll pickup something I think - maybe that anker supply.

The other investment thats needed now is a proper means of boxing the PSU. If this is to be sustainable long term, then I'll have to bix it all up.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

lifepo4 cell fran for usb3
trust me its better!! ive got both the anker and lifepo4
i have a voltage reg ordered on ebay which i intend to connect to the motherboard internal usb2 header ground and +5v and reg down to 3.4v to maintain the charge
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

But your lifePO4 cell will be 3.3V - 2 f them is 6.6V. What are you doing to get it down to ~5V for the USB stick?###

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:But your lifePO4 cell will be 3.3V - 2 f them is 6.6V. What are you doing to get it down to ~5V for the USB stick?###

Fran
sandisk works at 3.3v
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Really? So just feeding one LiFePO4 in instead of the normal 5V?

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:Really? So just feeding one LiFePO4 in instead of the normal 5V?

Fran
yes 1 lifepo4 cell
very very simple

simple the way i like it!!!!!

lol!!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

nige2000 wrote: very very simple

simple the way i like it!!!!!

lol!!
Who are you and what have you done with Nige?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Thought that might get a giggle