What are you listening to?

mcq

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by mcq »

You have two of the best modern versions there, Dave, but you might prefer a more traditional approach. Karajan's 1966 recording with the BPO (DG) is one of the finest performances available of this masterpiece. Wonderful solo contributions from Gundula Janowitz and Fitz Wundelich as well. I'd also like to recommend Gardiner on DG and Harnoncourt on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi. Harnoncourt is particularly good in this music and his version is probably the finest since Karajan's (in my opinion). Glorious choral work from the Arnold Schoenberg Choir and beautiful singing from Dorothea Roschmann, Michael Schade and Christian Gerhaher. Harnoncourt's interpretation is probably the most gripping of them all which might interest you if you're having trouble with this work. There is also an excellent version on DVD conducted by Gustav Kuhn (available on TDK) with some fantastic soloists including Arleen Auger, Peter Schreier and Walter Berry.
Last edited by mcq on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:No.4 & 5

Probably my favorite version of these concertos. The winds and in particular the recorders are very light and delicate but beautiful played.
Don't be saying things like that to me Dave.....I still do not own this set yet....aarrrggghhhhh!!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:If you like this, you should hear Hickox's box of Haydn masses with Collegium Musicum 90. Beautiful music and one of Hickox's finest achievements. A personal highlight is a soaring rendition of the mighty Harmoniemesse, one of Haydn's greatest works.
Duly noted sir and thank you for the recommendation!!
mcq

Post by mcq »

I'm also tempted by that set of the Brandenburgs, Dave. My personal benchmarks for this music are by Musica Antiqua Koln on DG and Il Giardino Armonico on Teldec.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
Jared wrote:three versions of Haydn's Creation, they seem to be a very safe bet..
Hi Jared, good to have you back posting. Speaking of Haydn's Creation, I have the 2 versions below but I just cannot 'get' this work. What versions do you(or anyone else here) have?
Dave, I have the inevetible Gardiner version....which I think is powerful and dramatic as ever....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

mcq wrote:You have two of the best modern versions there, Dave, but you might prefer a more traditional approach. Karajan's 1966 recording with the BPO (DG) is one of the finest performances available of these masterpiece. Wonderful solo contributions from Gundula Janowitz and Fitz Wundelich as well. I'd also like to recommend Gardiner on DG and Harnoncourt on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi. Harnoncourt is particularly good in this music and his version is probably the finest since Karajan's (in my opinion). Glorious choral work from the Arnold Schoenberg Choir and beautiful singing from Dorothea Roschmann, Michael Schade and Christian Gerhaher. Harnoncourt's interpretation is probably the most gripping of them all which might interest you if you're having trouble with this work. There is also an excellent version on DVD conducted by Gustav Kuhn (available on TDK) with some fantastic soloists including Arleen Auger, Peter Schreier and Walter Berry.
plenty to think about there mcq, thanks for that. For some reason I've always stayed away from any choral works done by Karajan ever since I was disappointed with his Mozart Requiem and I do admire this conductor. I think I'll check out the Gardiner and maybe the Harnoncourt versions.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

mcq wrote:I'm also tempted by that set of the Brandenburgs, Dave. My personal benchmarks for this music are by Musica Antiqua Koln on DG and Il Giardino Armonico on Teldec.
Thankfully there are no shortage of excellent recordings of these works. I also have the Savall, Hogwood/AAM and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment versions. The Gardiner version offers something 'fresh' imho that the others dont quite have.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ Dave, I have three versions of the Creation, by Gardiner, Bernstein & Christophers.

Of all the Oratorios I have heard thus far, I have to say that I found this to be one of the most instantly accessible..
fergus

Post by fergus »

Kraus – Symphonies played by the Swedish Chamber Orchestra/Sundkvist....

fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB Cello Suites Nos. 5 & 6 played by Fournier....

I think that Fournier plays with conviction in well paced, thoughtful performances and for me the playing is effortless. I feel that the interpretations are neither dry nor academic but contemplative. The sound of the cello is wonderfully caught and is portrayed in a lovely warm acoustic which beautifully favours the instrument. I have always liked these versions.