What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

JSB – Two wonderful Cantatas BWV30 & BWV 167 both for the Feast of St. John the Baptist....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:I can feel a purchase of the Decca 2CD of Curzon's versions of the later PCs coming on.. ;-))
I only know Curzon by reputation so if you do decide to go down that road I surely would be interested in your assessment of his Mozart.
Curzon's 1954 performances of Schumann's Fantasie and Kinderszenen as well as Schubert's Wanderer-Fantasie (available on Decca) are, to my mind, unsurpassed. This is deeply affecting music that is commandingly yet sensitively played by a truly great musician.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Jared

Post by Jared »

mcq wrote:
fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:I can feel a purchase of the Decca 2CD of Curzon's versions of the later PCs coming on.. ;-))
I only know Curzon by reputation so if you do decide to go down that road I surely would be interested in your assessment of his Mozart.
Curzon's 1954 performances of Schumann's Fantasie and Kinderszenen as well as Schubert's Wanderer-Fantasie (available on Decca) are, to my mind, unsurpassed. This is deeply affecting music that is commandingly yet sensitively played by a truly great musician.
^^ his Mozart Piano Concertos aren't bad either... that's a great recommendation though mcq, which I will bear in mind..
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.2

It has been a while since I've listened to this whirlwind performance.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
It has been a while since I have listened to anything in that set!
fergus

Post by fergus »

A disc that I bought recently on Jared's recommendation....

This is wonderful music which is very well played and the choral singing is simply marvellous and there is great energy and drive throughout the entire performances!
And yes Jared, the other two discs will follow!

I do have some instrumental music by Hummel in my collection which I have not played in quite a while so I must give it a spin sometime soon....especially the mandolin concerto.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

No.4 & 5

Probably my favorite version of these concertos. The winds and in particular the recorders are very light and delicate but beautiful played.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:A disc that I bought recently on Jared's recommendation....

This is wonderful music which is very well played and the choral singing is simply marvellous and there is great energy and drive throughout the entire performances!
And yes Jared, the other two discs will follow!

I do have some instrumental music by Hummel in my collection which I have not played in quite a while so I must give it a spin sometime soon....especially the mandolin concerto.
If you like this, you should hear Hickox's box of Haydn masses with Collegium Musicum 90. Beautiful music and one of Hickox's finest achievements. A personal highlight is a soaring rendition of the mighty Harmoniemesse, one of Haydn's greatest works.
Last edited by mcq on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Jared

Post by Jared »

mcq wrote:If you like this, you should hear Hickox's box of Haydn masses with Collegium Musicum 90. Beautiful music and one of Hickox's finest achievements. A personal highlight is a soaring rendition of the mighty Harmoniemesse, one of Haydn's greatest achievements.
Firstly, I have to say I'm delighted that Fergus has enjoyed the Hummel so much... I have been recommending them from time to time, because they really are crisp, clear and wondeful!

Secondly, mcq, you've once again put your finger on a box set that has been high on my shopping list for some time.. having revelled in the three vols of the above set and, more recently three versions of Haydn's Creation, they seem to be a very safe bet..
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:three versions of Haydn's Creation, they seem to be a very safe bet..
Hi Jared, good to have you back posting. Speaking of Haydn's Creation, I have the 2 versions below but I just cannot 'get' this work. What versions do you(or anyone else here) have?