Tonearm woes

Fran
Site Admin

Tonearm woes

Post by Fran »

Well after a longish spell with an airbearing linear tracking tonearm, tonight I re-installed my modded rega RB300 on the TT. The air bearing sounded great, but I got frustrated after the pumps started acting up - the major downside of this type of tonearm. It sounded great though.......

So to console myself, I think I'm going to have a go at one of these:

I already have some of the stuff (magnets) and the special cord for the pivot is on its way from the USA. Also have the tonearm lift too. More information here:

http://www.schroeder-tonarme.de/

Eh, undoubtedly it won't look as good as that one, but I'll be aiming reasonably high with this!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
JAW

Re: Tonearm woes

Post by JAW »

Looks like the mutt's nuts Fran. Good luck with the project!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

that's purdy.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

That's a gorgeous looking arm, fran! What kind of prices are we talking about (to build one I mean)? Anyway good luck with it and don't forget the pics...
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Not certain on prices, but I think that one comes in around 5k or so - and at least a year of a wait.

However, there's a thread going on diyaudio and a few fellas have made one. Frank schroeder himself gives advice on the thread.....

I figure ill be out my time and small change if it doesn't work out.

First obstacle - inverter on my lathe decided to die tonight so I need to fix that now before I start.

Fran
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks for the info Fran and hopefully you'll get the inverter problem sorted... Also I hope you're not going to start drilling holes in the magnets! Not to worry by the time the next World Cup comes around you'll be all set :-)
Last edited by cybot on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dowser

Post by Dowser »

You have a lathe Fran...ohhh :)

Richard
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Dowser wrote:You have a lathe Fran...ohhh :)

Richard
You have no concept of what Fran has in his HUGE shed. It's the Man Cave of all Man Caves
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

You have a lathe Fran...ohhh :)

Richard

both wood and metal..........

mmm, and if you're lucky you can come and help me tidy it!

Fran
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Pulled out the new invertor last night, so must do a bit more about getting it hooked up now. Magnets and the vectran cord arrived from ebay too.

I think I will do something a little differnet with the armtube. What I am planning on now is to drill an 8mm hole up the armwand and then epoxy in a 7mm carbon fibre (or brass or aluminium) tube so that I have a a constrained layer - should make it more acoustically dead...... I think. I need to ask mr. schroeder himself about it first....

Fran