Dacs to Lust After

tony

Re: Dacs to Lust After

Post by tony »

Fran wrote:If you're giving me a choice I know which I would pick!
Unfortunately it is not that one. The one I have been dragged along to is the reason scuttling off into the countryside to look at dacs that I can't afford is very appealing.

Do you think I would be looking for an escape route if it was a that show?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tcrosby

Post by tcrosby »

MSb diamond dac sublime
tony

Post by tony »

tcrosby wrote:MSb diamond dac sublime
Is that from listening or looking?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tcrosby

Post by tcrosby »

Both. Sound in different league in all parameters
tony

Post by tony »

Got to hear the CAD1543 dac in Midland Audio. Couldn't say on one listen or in the set up what this is like. After all the efforts we are going to over here it was strange listening to a £7k dac on £20k Focal speakers with one laptop. Lovely looking Burmeester power and pre. On the settingsthe laptop was not even using hibernate.

What a demo room. The amount of kit and price range was incredible. Got to hear a set of Martin Logan's also don't know the model but priced at £11k. Sounded very nice.

Plenty of Devialet models also and a range of dacs up to nearly £20k + a stack of very nice looking TT's.

Highly recommended visit for any of our big spenders as plenty of big name models to drool over. The setting is lovely also,nice quaint village and old barn style red brick unit. John the owner is very easy going. I hired a car at the airport for the day £22 it was cheaper and quicker to get to the shop.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote:Got to hear the CAD1543 dac in Midland Audio. Couldn't say on one listen or in the set up what this is like. After all the efforts we are going to over here it was strange listening to a £7k dac on £20k Focal speakers with one laptop. Lovely looking Burmeester power and pre. On the settingsthe laptop was not even using hibernate.

What a demo room. The amount of kit and price range was incredible. Got to hear a set of Martin Logan's also don't know the model but priced at £11k. Sounded very nice.

Plenty of Devialet models also and a range of dacs up to nearly £20k + a stack of very nice looking TT's.

Highly recommended visit for any of our big spenders as plenty of big name models to drool over. The setting is lovely also,nice quaint village and old barn style red brick unit. John the owner is very easy going. I hired a car at the airport for the day £22 it was cheaper and quicker to get to the shop.
Where's Midland Audio? I'm driving across the UK later this year, would leave the motorway for a good hifi shop
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

http://www.midlandaudiox-change.co.uk/

That's the site Ivor a place called Belbroughton. About 30-35mins from Birmingham. Google will give you directions to the door. Well worth a visit it is Cloneys on steroids. Really big spacious showrooms.
The listening room upstairs is like a loft of a converted barn.Massive. There are a range of shops all around this area. BDaudio from a house and Definitive Audio not to mention OnethingAudio. Not practical to see them all especially when scheduled to do other things.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote:http://www.midlandaudiox-change.co.uk/

That's the site Ivor a place called Belbroughton. About 30-35mins from Birmingham. Google will give you directions to the door. Well worth a visit it is Cloneys on steroids. Really big spacious showrooms.
The listening room upstairs is like a loft of a converted barn.Massive. There are a range of shops all around this area. BDaudio from a house and Definitive Audio not to mention OnethingAudio. Not practical to see them all especially when scheduled to do other things.
Might be a bit too far south for me, I'll be going Manchester - Sheffield direction. Might get to my old mucker and supplier of fine hifi at http://www.audiolincs.com/index.php in Grimsby but little chance for anything more. They sound like great shops Tony...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Nice one Tony. Myself and Steve have been (drunkenly, generally) talking about a hifi trip at some stage. We really must pull the trigger on that plan.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote:Nice one Tony. Myself and Steve have been (drunkenly, generally) talking about a hifi trip at some stage. We really must pull the trigger on that plan.
I think you would be impressed with this place. For anybody spending the big bucks the trip is only taking up time. Cost is not too bad when factored in to €10k kit. You would do a day trip for a little over €100-150. BTW He does sell reasonably priced stuff also. Saw a Leben CS300 and the Puresound range. It was the variety of kit that struck me and the size of the room.