What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image
I may well check that one out Seán as I struggle a bit with the 4th and 5th and I find the 6th a real struggle so another interpretation may well help in that direction.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
have just been listening to "Thy hand Belinda... When I am laid in Earth.."

lovely.... Lorraine Hunt's version on HM
That is indeed a very beautiful piece of music JB.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Some wonderful music from Marin Marais....

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote: I may well check that one out Seán as I struggle a bit with the 4th and 5th and I find the 6th a real struggle so another interpretation may well help in that direction.
Yup, no getting round it: 6 is hard!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:Nielsen Symphonies 3 & 4
Janáček Philharmonic Orchestra
Theodore Kuchar conducting
rec. 2005, Concert Hall Ostrava, Czech Republic

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h ... N%26um%3D1

Is this set available Tower Seán? I dont have anything Nielsen so I might check that one out.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:Nielsen Symphonies 3 & 4
Janáček Philharmonic Orchestra
Theodore Kuchar conducting
rec. 2005, Concert Hall Ostrava, Czech Republic

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h ... N%26um%3D1

Is this set available Tower Seán? I dont have anything Nielsen so I might check that one out.
Tower usualy have it for €11.99. It is a very good set indeed. But if you want to really get the blood flowing the Blomstedt/SFSO two double CD sets are magnificent. Tower also have the Blomstedt/DRSO Nielsen 7 CD set for less than €20 and that is a smashing bargain too: http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... 194292.htm
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Hello everyone... ;-))

I have been enjoying my first couple of run throughs of Bax's Symphonic output, courtesy of his principle supporter and exponent, Vernon Handley... whilst not quite (IMHO) of the overall quality of RVW, these really are a welcome find for me, and I shall continue to concentrate on them and enjoy them through the month of February.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:Image

Hello everyone... ;-))

I have been enjoying my first couple of run throughs of Bax's Symphonic output, courtesy of his principle supporter and exponent, Vernon Handley... whilst not quite (IMHO) of the overall quality of RVW, these really are a welcome find for me, and I shall continue to concentrate on them and enjoy them through the month of February.
Hello Jared and welcome to Tír Na HiFi.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Ciaran wrote:
fergus wrote: I may well check that one out Seán as I struggle a bit with the 4th and 5th and I find the 6th a real struggle so another interpretation may well help in that direction.
Yup, no getting round it: 6 is hard!!
Hi again, Fergus & Ciaran...

my eyes picked up when I saw this, because Nielsen is one of my principle considerations for March, and in preperation, I have already purchased:

and

I must confess, I have only heard No 4. When I was about 20, I was played this symphony (Rattle/ CBSO) by a friend, and really didn't enjoy it.. that said, I wasn't into classical music that much, so my frame of reference was extremely limited. About 4/5 months ago however, I found a Proms DVD freebie from the BBC Music magazine (issued about 3 years ago) which included a performance of No 4, and I found it altogether more coherent and accessible. Simultaneously, I have been greatly enjoying a wonderful performance of his Violin Concerto:

which has given me courage to dip my toes further into the Nielsen waters... I'll let you know in due course..
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:Image

Hello everyone... ;-))

Welcome to the forum Jared!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP