Americana and suchlike

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
jaybee

Re: Americana and suchlike

Post by jaybee »

Derek wrote:Gerry I picked that up in my local Charity shop for almost no money, it has become my new source for music I never new, and for some oldies I missed.

This is about my pace today it hits the right tone.

The man is a legend!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jaybee wrote:
Derek wrote:Gerry I picked that up in my local Charity shop for almost no money, it has become my new source for music I never new, and for some oldies I missed.

This is about my pace today it hits the right tone.

The man is a legend!

He is though isn't he? I mean he's cheesy enough to work for Sheridan's and pure hick Country & Western but there's something honest and straight about him. I came across a vinyl Greatest Hits on the shelf the other say, a mid 70s compilation, but I suspect it might have been well partied so I didn't even look at the condition. I'll look again.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

He released an album last year "And So It Goes" his first since 2004. I must get a copy.

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

I have been a fan of Don Williams since the mid 1970s. And I still like his music. Two songs always stand out IMHO, I recall a gypsy woman and Tulsa time.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Rocker wrote:I have been a fan of Don Williams since the mid 1970s. And I still like his music. Two songs always stand out IMHO, I recall a gypsy woman and Tulsa time.
and the sickly sweet but sincere "you're my best friend"
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I heard a bit of this in Dereks last night and I must say I was impressed. Yeah, its stereotypical country, but very good musicianship and recording too - and a gentle listen. I must pick up a bit more of his stuff to see what its like.
Do or do not, there is no try
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Fran wrote:I heard a bit of this in Dereks last night and I must say I was impressed. Yeah, its stereotypical country, but very good musicianship and recording too - and a gentle listen. I must pick up a bit more of his stuff to see what its like.
More down home sounding than modern 'country' IMHO Fran. By modern country I mean Brad Paisley, Shania Twain and the likes.
John Fogerty 'The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again' is a CD you might like as it is in similar vein to Don Williams.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
cybot

Post by cybot »

The original and the best. The only reason I gave Country music a fair listen was because of this album....Thanks JC :)

dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

dhyantyke wrote:Image
Fantastic album. Don't think they've released anything less than great. IMHO.
Coincidently I'm retreading Willy Vlautins "The Motel Life" just now.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford