Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

Was it all the playing around with power supplies that caused the demise of the motherboard or just end of life?

Yes and no, i had left it playing while i was away testing for stability (if its still playing when i come back its stable) and a very helpful person tried to turn it off by turning up the voltage and it fried the mobo and the pico (graphics card too) , if all power was all through the pico psu it MIGHT have protected the mobo.

but unless i do some thing stupid like that it wouldnt happen

the internal usb3 header was used for a tidier simpler way of injecting external 5v (gives me an extra port at back too) the internal header adapter has two ports but for some reason it sounds better to have one internal and one at the back mobo plate (via 5v injection)

Battery power is supposed to be the best, its the charging that would bother me. Some day im bored i might take in a big 12v battery give it a go!

bubble wrap i dont understand
ill look it up, which thread is it in
its certainly cheaper than a streacom (the budget option)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Sorry so you posted something about that earlier also.

My only upgrade has been a 4gb ram module for the laptop bringing it up to 8gb from 6gb.

It is in the who has tried ppangs products post. Hopefully the link to the image below works. The post is below but here is the link also.
He is using brass spikes and some white deal under the mobo. I wonder did he protim it? It looks like a massive fan yoke or heatsink sitting on top of the processor. Really whatever he saved on the streacom has probably been spent on the heatsink,brass spikes!! And dont forget the bubblewrap.

http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/wh ... -products/

"Have just had my first serious listen to PPA USB Card

Now because I have been burning in the PPA card for 2 weeks straight ( 330 hrs) I haven't heard the Sotm card for that same amount of time

I have also removed the Sotm SATA filter and all listening was done without it

What I can say, is that the PPA has renewed my interest – I know from previous noticeable upgrades, that when I 've headed in the right direction with a Tweak , change of component etc.. I can barely wait for one song to end, to try the next one , and the next etc … ( Yes , I admit it , I'm a single song guy , dont think I've ever played a whole album from start to finish , ever )

I know it's an improvement because it not just about deeper tighter bass , but more that I just get the song , it suddenly makes sense, in some cases , the song takes on a whole new personality

This happened with the introduction of the PPA card, but I have gone several steps above that new level – by trying a tweak I read on CA ( Isolation or Coupling)- I had my Hot Rod Server – MoBo rubber mounted on a piece of 19mm Pine with a brass spike on each corner

I replaced the spikes with 2 sausages of rolled up bubble wrap, held to underneath of MoBo base with double sided foam tape – Funk Me!!! – an even bigger jump than the PPA card – then did the same with my Calyx DaC- another large step !

Only downside is not so cool appearance and the DAC and Server now wobble like jelly when changing cables etc – could easily unseat loose connections"

For Sale – 1 x 1st gen. Sotm TX USB card (USB2)

1 x Sotm SATA Filter

8 x Brass Spikes
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Nige, I see you are all over the latest OS announcement on Jplay - "Windows Server 2012 audiophile Core Edition"
Tried it yet?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Had a bit of a read through that thread not sure what he is going to get. That is for the risk takers but will see how it pans out and have a go when it is developed and documented

Another thing being spoken about is this yoke which is a short block usb filter. Of course another €199 to put this in the pc/dac chain.

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/short-block
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

That server edition isn't out til next weekend he says....

sure be worth trying out?
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:Nige, I see you are all over the latest OS announcement on Jplay - "Windows Server 2012 audiophile Core Edition"
Tried it yet?
i havent tried it yet,
but ive a download running and it should be finished by now, it really does sound intriguing,
he hasn't released the tutorial as of yet, i wouldn't even bother trying to get it going without it.
i know hes not that excited about wtg but i aim to get it working on a usb3 wtg stick i dont see any issue.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

I see audiophil has advised that he loaded it onto a WTG stick so that looks very hopeful. Think I will be in on that so as that would be the preferred route
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:Had a bit of a read through that thread not sure what he is going to get. That is for the risk takers but will see how it pans out and have a go when it is developed and documented

Another thing being spoken about is this yoke which is a short block usb filter. Of course another €199 to put this in the pc/dac chain.

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/short-block
That short blaock USB filter is an CM noise treatment device - shouldn't be needed when using my battery operated supplies as they are unaffected by any common mode (CM) noise.
Last edited by jkeny on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yes, if we can get it working via WTG stick it would be great - an easy switch over between OSes.
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

Didn't really do this right and weekend that is in it doesn't help especially with chic playing tomorrow but
I am around tomorrow afternoon if anybody is calling. Let me know as I may be deflected to Bloom if it is a no show.