Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
Sligolad wrote:Some serious PC building going on here with the top section a Linear PSU built by a guy in Bulgaria I think!

http://bobopich.snimka.bg/radio-amateur ... 962420.big

Lots of discussion on the benefit of Linear Supplies here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-m ... ply-11832/
my oh my!!
thats quite a build
Yea but he would be better off putting the PS in a separate case, I reckon!

The problem with the whole PC audio field, (I've said before, so forgive me repeating myself) is that we are using a general purpose tool to do a very specific task & the parameters have not been ironed out fully. There are no theories/guidelines that can direct us, just trial & error. So everything is open for experiment - maybe that's why we get the crazy stuff recently posted on Jplay forum re sonic harmonisers, quantum chips, black bodies, etc.

Still, it's good to keep an open mind, just not too open or madness invades.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
Sligolad wrote:Some serious PC building going on here with the top section a Linear PSU built by a guy in Bulgaria I think!

http://bobopich.snimka.bg/radio-amateur ... 962420.big

Lots of discussion on the benefit of Linear Supplies here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-m ... ply-11832/
my oh my!!
thats quite a build
Yea but he would be better off putting the PS in a separate case, I reckon!

The problem with the whole PC audio field, (I've said before, so forgive me repeating myself) is that we are using a general purpose tool to do a very specific task & the parameters have not been ironed out fully. There are no theories/guidelines that can direct us, just trial & error. So everything is open for experiment - maybe that's why we get the crazy stuff recently posted on Jplay forum re sonic harmonisers, quantum chips, black bodies, etc.

Still, it's good to keep an open mind, just not too open or madness invades.
suppose it is a little tight in there,
when its tight for space like that its a pain to build, i wouldn't have bothered trying to make it fit, but if i had a big case with plenty of room i would have had considered it.

Do you think there'd be interference with all this in close proximity ?
its a pity we cant hear pictures
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Image[/url]

thought id never learn how to do this

Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[url]
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Nige, there might be interference alright but who knows - it's just that the computer environment is rife with RFI, EMI & all sorts of transmitted noise, why put a low noise? linear supply in that environment also?

Like your pics - do you notice any improvement when powering the USB stick externally?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:Nige, there might be interference alright but who knows - it's just that the computer environment is rife with RFI, EMI & all sorts of transmitted noise, why put a low noise? linear supply in that environment also?

Like your pics - do you notice any improvement when powering the USB stick externally?
its a usb3 power injector i made but i have not tried it yet
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I agree on the overall build John but I was posting more to show the Linear Supply which looks like a beast.
I am still on the fence whether to strip the Teddy Pardo and install it in the Zuma for all the reasons you mentioned, especially as it is working so well outside.
If I can come up with a good shielding solution I will install it in the case at some point.

It would be good to find someone in Europe who could build and supply a good linear supply for PC audio besides Paul Hynes as it seems he is not getting his work out the door at the moment, some people appear to be waiting up to a year for his work!

Post by Sligolad »

Pics of inside Teddy Pardo, if I had seen these before buying I would probably have passed it up but after hearing the difference I would have paid a lot more for it!!
Top pic full unit with top off and bottom pic close up of smps inside.
Attachments
Teddy Pardo 12-4s.jpg
Teddy Pardo 12-4s.jpg (32.65 KiB) Viewed 698 times
Astec AD7216N2L 16vs.jpg
Astec AD7216N2L 16vs.jpg (36.55 KiB) Viewed 698 times

Post by jkeny »

Huh, that PCB is almost unpopulated - can't open up the pic to get a close-up look at how many parts are actually in there & what they might be doing!

This reminds me of a circuit that might be useful here - JLH Ripple-eater (John Lindsey Hood) - pcbb boards were sold some time ago - I'll dig up the link, if I can find it. It would be perfect after a AMPS inside a PC build - it cuts down noise & ripple to negligible levels, apparently.
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

[url]http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/pr ... N2L_Phrase[/url

See link this smps is priced at €95 in radionics so at least you know where some of your cash went to. I wonder how much teddy charges for his box of tricks by itself? I wonder if I dropped over my maplin supply would it be worth you comparing it to the pardo? At this moment Pearse you are comparing it to your smps. Just wonder if the maplin will give you a similar experience? Of course I will have to break it out of its box so will be keeping it but no matter as mister pardo is priced too high for me at present.Also the plex linear supply is further away time wise then I thought so will need something to power the zuma
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Surprised with how little there was on there too John, there is only about one fifth of the board populated with 2 triacs or somewhat like that underneath using the case as heatsink.
Attachments
Board.jpg
Board.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 693 times