Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: john im only getting round to this second WTG usb3 stick now.
i was following the instructions on your link, only thing i noticed odd was it was very slow took half hour to create virtual drive and god knows how long to install as i left it for 2.5 hrs.

now when i waited for to first boot for a half hour then gave up, i reckoned this stick wasn't going to be a runner at all, as the read/write speeds were awful.
think its my stick must revert to usb 2 speeds unless its plugged into a operating system to gain usb3 speeds, i scrapped the idea on this stick. (took me less than 10 min to install my kingston usb3)
do you think i missed anything on this?

On the upside i started to use it as music storage think is another improvement, operating system on one usb3 stick and storage on another usb.
Yes, the write speeds on your USB stick are probably the problem - mine only takes about 10-15mins to create but I have a Transcend US stick which is as slow as yours so I gave up on it like you. Haven't tried it for music storage as I was working on the premise that I should limit the number of devices plugged in to USB ports. Must try when I get a chance. This sounds better than audio files stored on internal SSD disk & booting from WTG stick?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: john im only getting round to this second WTG usb3 stick now.
i was following the instructions on your link, only thing i noticed odd was it was very slow took half hour to create virtual drive and god knows how long to install as i left it for 2.5 hrs.

now when i waited for to first boot for a half hour then gave up, i reckoned this stick wasn't going to be a runner at all, as the read/write speeds were awful.
think its my stick must revert to usb 2 speeds unless its plugged into a operating system to gain usb3 speeds, i scrapped the idea on this stick. (took me less than 10 min to install my kingston usb3)
do you think i missed anything on this?

On the upside i started to use it as music storage think is another improvement, operating system on one usb3 stick and storage on another usb.
Yes, the write speeds on your USB stick are probably the problem - mine only takes about 10-15mins to create but I have a Transcend US stick which is as slow as yours so I gave up on it like you. Haven't tried it for music storage as I was working on the premise that I should limit the number of devices plugged in to USB ports. Must try when I get a chance. This sounds better than audio files stored on internal SSD disk & booting from WTG stick?
i got the feeling the two usb3 sticks the maplin power supply and external power for the dac was the best ive heard it so far. id like to do more comparable listening usb+usb vs usb + ssd just to be sure.
edit: ive rechecked
usb 3 storage seemed to be better than ssd storage.
ssd storage didnt seem to be any better than storage on the wtg stick.

hoping im not suffering from placebo effect, but i dont think i am
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

How would next sat or sun afternoon suit you all for a meet up?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

im away for that weekend unfortunately,
i know it will be difficult to suit everyone, but could we move it a little forward or back. id rather to be able to go.

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Fran wrote:How would next sat or sun afternoon suit you all for a meet up?

Fran
Assume you mean next weekend that is out for me as well and unfortunately the next one but I could manage to call in for a short period.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Would next Friday night or the mon/tues the next week suit?

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:Would next Friday night or the mon/tues the next week suit?

Fran
i should be able to make that work.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Sound, let's see what suits the rest of the lads then we can fix it.

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, that suits me but I have to say I haven't done anything with the NUC since my initial flurry of activity - too busy with other stuff. Hopefully, I might have a something setup by next Friday?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Next Friday night would work for me too.

Nigel I have a 32 Gb Verbatim USB3 Flash Drive which I have been using for playback off and on for the past year and I always found when its used it always sounds better than files played back from external or internal drive, I have not tried it yet from 5.1.