Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by tony »

dont drag me in to that!!
innocent bystander
i was signifying end of round (boxing match)
regardless people in glasshouses and all that
and if your ever throwing them out im sure there a shit lot better than what i have[/quote]

This is the last post on this we need to get back to audiopc's but the only person getting them when I am fed up with them lives in sandymount
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

What is going to be tested next week if it is next week?

Is it zuma vs nuc vs Niges and Frans? Is it going to be just with one dac (ciunas or dac32) as there are enough around?

I know it often ends up experimenting all over the place. Is it worthwhile having some structure on it as above and then all the extreme tweaks etc after that? Just think it would be easier to try and get a comparison between builds if there is not too much swapping around.

What do people think?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:What is going to be tested next week if it is next week?

Is it zuma vs nuc vs Niges and Frans? Is it going to be just with one dac (ciunas or dac32) as there are enough around?

I know it often ends up experimenting all over the place. Is it worthwhile having some structure on it as above and then all the extreme tweaks etc after that? Just think it would be easier to try and get a comparison between builds if there is not too much swapping around.

What do people think?
Yea, I would hope that we use a particular DAC (possibly one that someone has been able to achieve US=20 with) & try the various PC configs using this DAC. I would suggest singlePC mode as this has fewer variables & try to get USas low as possible on each config. After deciding which config sounds best, it might then be worthwhile seeing what sonic effect various US settings have & if US is indeed the best engine. Any other plans?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I reckon Tony that if some of the guys have managed to get the Ciunas running at 30 in Ultrasize then we should just use the Ciunas.

Post by nige2000 »

2-3 dacs will be more than enough, ones with different drivers would be interesting, but i think we should assess the pc's on the same dac first
id like to have it next week, im impatient like that
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:2-3 dacs will be more than enough, ones with different drivers would be interesting, but i think we should assess the pc's on the same dac first
id like to have it next week, im impatient like that
Yea, next week is fine - I should have the NUC SSD & memory delivered by then, I reckon - possibly mid-week?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

suits me fine

where did u order the msata and memory from?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:suits me fine

where did u order the msata and memory from?
Oh, sorry, yea from here http://www.computeruniverse.net/

I went with Claue's recommendation of Plextor mSata
Plextor PX-128M5M 128GB 105.32 €
Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3 Kit 56.74 €
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

laptop memory is it not, SO-Dimm 204 pin
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:laptop memory is it not, SO-Dimm 204 pin
Yes, that's what the NUC takes, - I transferred RAM from my netbook to NUC
www.Ciunas.biz