Speakers

Ivor

Re: Speakers

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:
Ivor wrote:I have a pair of rosewood Castle Pembrokes doing duty as fronts on a modest TV system. They're very civilised.
I remember them :) You're right, they are very civilised. Maybe too much so?
Yeah, out of curiosity I tried them on the hifi and it wasn't good enough at all. Perfect for living room TV system though, very pretty speakers too.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I see castle have reissued the howards in s3 guise, same lovely box and veneers, all new noisy bits...

http://www.castle.uk.com/ClassicSeries/ ... fault.aspx

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I seem te recall that the Howards showed an awkward enough impedance to the amp. A bit of a killer in many ways.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

jaybee wrote:I see castle have reissued the howards in s3 guise, same lovely box and veneers, all new noisy bits...

http://www.castle.uk.com/ClassicSeries/ ... fault.aspx

Didn't know that jb? I did go a hunting for reviews etc when they relocated to China with Peter Comeau at the helm. I wasn't too impressed with the reviews of the Knight series so I don't really know about the new Classic Series? I'll be keeping my eyes peeled anyway just in case :) Thanks a million for the link :)
Last edited by cybot on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Diapason wrote:I seem te recall that the Howards showed an awkward enough impedance to the amp. A bit of a killer in many ways.
Due to the 1/4 wave design? I never experienced any problems with the Crofts driving them over the years. I do know the sensitivity is a high 90 dB and as far as I recall they present an 8 ohm load to the amp. Of course, it doesn't stay constant and more than likely goes down to something like 3 ohms from time to time. Now you've made me nervous :)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'd say if you haven't had any cause to be nervous up to date, you don't have any cause full stop!
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:I'd say if you haven't had any cause to be nervous up to date, you don't have any cause full stop!
Don't worry Fran I was only pulling his leg :) Anyway I found these snippets from my own archives - just to make doubly sure ha! Take note of the second reviewer :)

Castle Howard: S1 and S2 Models:

Hi Fi News Archives:

Martin Colloms: Castle Howard S1: April '94

" Foremost we have the combination of an above average 90dB/watt sensitivity and a notably amplifier tolerant load impedance, typically 11 ohms but with one minimum value of 7 ohms. The impedance graph indicated that the quarter wave internal design was reflected very little in terms of load variation and the evidence certainly showed bass reflex loading at low frequencies; the system is tuned to 40 Hz with the output effective to at least 33 Hz. A minimum amplifier power of 15W was indicated while 2x100 W could be tolerated without complaint."

May 1996: Castle Howard S2:

Peter Comeau: S2

"The impedance plot gives a true 8 ohm load with the reflex loading of the pipe just showing at 40Hz, and there are no sharp corners to trace, indicating an easy amplifier drive"
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I obviously completely mis-remembered that, so. Or Joe Lanigan lied to me!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Diapason wrote:I obviously completely mis-remembered that, so. Or Joe Lanigan lied to me!!
Ah Joe :) Wonder what he's doing now? Is he still with Richer Sounds?
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

joe had this really neat trick...

david copperfield style, without saying more than a few words and without moving his hands he could empty your wallet....
Last edited by jaybee on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....