Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: im aiming for single pc use as well
jplay seems to utilise the ethernet adapter even in single mode with ultrastream as i posted before disabling ethernet adapters = no sound. therefore it will affect single mode too.
I disabled my ethernet card & wifi card & still get sound??? Another mystery

That sounds mad John and very frustrating. The post from Nigel above about the lad who has no US from an expensive build I think really needs Marcin and Josef to look at this as there must be a way around this network card issue. I will try disabling both my adapters later just to see if I can have the success you got. Is it playing in US with disabled cards?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: im aiming for single pc use as well
jplay seems to utilise the ethernet adapter even in single mode with ultrastream as i posted before disabling ethernet adapters = no sound. therefore it will affect single mode too.
I disabled my ethernet card & wifi card & still get sound??? Another mystery
really!!
ill have to recheck that

ive rechecked that and you are correct works after a reboot,
really blown my train of thought out of the water. we didn't need another complication anyway

i had thought marcin had posted that Ethernet adapter was required and when i disabled my controller i lost sound, and i never investigated more.

sorry for the error

nige
Last edited by nige2000 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: really!!
ill have to recheck that
So will I but I'm pretty sure!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

ive rechecked that and you are correct works after a reboot,
really blown my train of thought out of the water. we didn't need another complication anyway

i had thought marcin had posted that Ethernet adapter was required and when i disabled my controller i lost sound, and i never investigated more.

sorry for the error

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Just to throw a different spanner in the works. If I am understanding you guys correctly disabling both adapters and you are getting US to work?

I tried it as I hoped at long last I could get to hear US but I still get the network card message. It must be somehow reading the network controller even when disabled. Maybe the adapter works internally to the machine even if disabled. i.e disabling only affects traffic in or out.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Just to throw a different spanner in the works. If I am understanding you guys correctly disabling both adapters and you are getting US to work?

I tried it as I hoped at long last I could get to hear US but I still get the network card message. It must be somehow reading the network controller even when disabled. Maybe the adapter works internally to the machine even if disabled. i.e disabling only affects traffic in or out.
im a bit confused about this atm, we will probably need conformation from the jplay forum
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yes, I seem to remember Josef saying that the network card is also used in standalone mode "otherwise how would singlePC Vs streaming be compared" which didn't make sense to me - why would you need to compare them - they work completely differently so why not code them differently? Again the search function on that forum greatly hampers using it as a knowledge base !!

Anyway, I started a thread on Jplay to try to tease out a consensus on what works/doesn't for non-streaming Jplay usage - how to get the lowest US figure & what the dependencies are http://jplay.eu/forum/jplay/configuring ... de/#p11957
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Just noticed I never posted the link to this processor earlier. Must be losing the marbles. I think it might be the salice salentino red that Ivor flogged me last night.He waxed lyrical about this and as per usual he was right it is lovely. Anyway I digressed can one of the fran's oor nigels of this world just confirm that this will work with the plexh5.s case i.e what I am buying is the chip and I dont need the heatsink or cooler as the case will do the job. Hic!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/200912806625?ssP ... 1423.l2649
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yes that is the one. However note that the seller doesn't take paypal so you wil need to do a cash transfer etc.

The guy I bought from has one relisted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330897742336?ss ... 1497.l2649

and he does take paypal.

Tony you need:

DH77EB motherboard
i7 3770 CPU (the boxed ones come with a cooler fan, but if you are going to use the streamcom passive system etc, then you won't need this so its OK to buy a CPU without a cooler, eg like the ones on german ebay)
streamcom/HDplex case (which comes with the passive cooler for the chip)
picoPSU 160 XT + the 12V brick with it
RAM - 2 x4gb or 2 x 8gb as you can afford. see the options from the spreadsheet on gDrive
SSD
Win8
jplay
SOtM sata yoke
SOtM USB yoke
Flexible riser if you are using the SOtM USB card

Useful resource:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... welE#gid=0

Do also take the time to go watch some of the PC build instructional videos on youtube. Most will mention graphics cards which we don't need, but the rest is very applicalbe and very useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks a million Fran I was 99% sure but dont want to pull any triggers until I get confirmation.
I posted earlier about this but never put in the link. I think I will go with the processor/mobo/case and pico unit which comes with the H5.s case.
Enough work in that to keep me going for awhile and sure I can go for ssd or wtg usb key after your testing session.

Regardless the SOTM usb is out for me. What I heard without using this was enough to keep me happy. As posted earlier by Pearse I didn't hear any magical lift with it. I think I might leave off the SOTM noise filter on the ssd drive also for the moment and do another comparison with Pearse.

Again as John posted much earlier on this thread Marcin and Josef are making a lot of noise(quietly) about audio grade lan/sata cables and it looks like that is going to happen shortly. Being cynical for a moment I wonder has jplay reached a pinnacle and the only way to get more revenue streams is to go the cable mystic route. To be very fair with Josef and Marcin their interest has always seemed as enthusiasts rather than the snake charming techniques of the lars guy.