Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:Aha, Nige, you got the USB3 stick Win8-to-go working? Did you use a Virtual Hard Disk or standard approach?

I'm interested in your results running Jplay on core i3, - it will have implications for i3 NUC
i3 2105 with 6 gb ram working flawlessly on jplay rc14b on ultrastream all directlink and hibernate off for monitoring 24 bit 192 with these settings in regedit
using the usb 3 intall of win 8 single mode

Value 3 Name: MiniCache Type: REG_SZ Data: 500
Value 4 Name: XtreamStopTime Type: REG_SZ Data: 1
Value 5 Name: XtreamSize Type: REG_SZ Data: 3000
Value 6 Name: PacketSize Type: REG_SZ Data: 0
Value 7 Name: ASIOChannelOffset Type: REG_SZ Data: 0
Value 8 Name: XtreamMode Type: REG_SZ Data: 0
Value 9 Name: UltraSize Type: REG_SZ Data: 30

cpu utilisation around 10% never over 20%
ram utilisation under 2 gb

any setting recommendations to try before i pack it up
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Cool, (literally) core i3 works with Ultrastream on high res settings
Ultrasize of 30 was the lowest you could go without glitches? I think 20 is the lowest?
This is single PC running Jplay, not Jplay streaming, right?
I see it beginning to be reported that single Jplay with Ultrasize setting & using Ultrastream engine may well now sound better than Jplay streaming mode?

Looks like the i3 NUC may well be a sufficient.
How does the NUC i3 CPU compare to the i3 CPU you are using?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

switched to xtream had to lower the settings to get working cpu utilization didn't change ram went up to 5.9 gb was slow to start playing
RAM is the ticket to zumaland ive seen it in every test involving 24 bit audio ram requirement doubles at highest settings
Value 6 Name: PacketSize Type: REG_SZ Data: 1
Value 8 Name: XtreamMode Type: REG_SZ Data: 1
Value 9 Name: UltraSize Type: REG_SZ Data: 0
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

From my tests using my netbook (AMD E-350 CPU) & from what Josef has said - it looks like Ultrastream uses extra CPU processing to achieve lower latency whereas Xtream engine uses more RAM/less CPU?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:From my tests using my netbook (AMD E-350 CPU) & from what Josef has said - it looks like Ultrastream uses extra CPU processing to achieve lower latency whereas Xtream engine uses more RAM/less CPU?
definitely less ram utilization didn't see any noticeable change with cpu utilization though
got as far as 28 without distortion on the ultrasize

xtream would require more ram than most people would currently have, but even with xtream 8 gb is plenty

ill check the specs of the i3 proscessors now shouldn't be much different though
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

i3's varied more than i thought i3 2105 scored 3750
Intel Core i3-3217U scored 2276
id hazzard a guess that its cpu utilization in ultrastream would be between 30 and 45% dont think its going to be a problem for it though

the cheap ass pentium g860 @ 70 euro scores 2876 which is a lower i3 in all but name
any of these i3's are over kill for this purpose nevermind a i7
(rant over for now)

nige
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:switched to xtream had to lower the settings to get working cpu utilization didn't change ram went up to 5.9 gb was slow to start playing
RAM is the ticket to zumaland ive seen it in every test involving 24 bit audio ram requirement doubles at highest settings

Could you give a sceenshot of your regedit settings as I don't have the xtreamstop time type in mine?

Will ignore the cheapo chip suggestion for the moment except to say I now know how the guys who spend a fortune on a device and
have to listen to JKDAC32 owners tell them the expense was not necessary as all is revealed in this small box!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Tony,Nige, I am using an ancient Meath Co Council Pentium 4 2.99Ghz as Streamer and I'm getting 2% CPU time running UltraStream. I'm getting a lowest UltraSize value of 160 streaming via cable to and from modem to JK's Ciunas Dac. Wireless to modem was exactly the same value. I see Aleg on Jplay forum is getting 169ms as his lowest value with JKDAC32 again streaming. Below 160 for me =no sound.
BTW the JKDAC32 has gone to a good home.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

here you go
phpCdY3jfAM.jpg
phpCdY3jfAM.jpg (16.56 KiB) Viewed 417 times
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
nige2000 wrote:switched to xtream had to lower the settings to get working cpu utilization didn't change ram went up to 5.9 gb was slow to start playing

Could you give a sceenshot of your regedit settings as I don't have the xtreamstop time type in mine?

Will ignore the cheapo chip suggestion for the moment except to say I now know how the guys who spend a fortune on a device and
have to listen to JKDAC32 owners tell them the expense was not necessary as all is revealed in this small box!
not sure i understood about the chip and jkdac was it that
the jkdac is well able to compete with extreme high end dacs at a lower cost and these cheaper chips may work in the same manner