Site Admin

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Fran »

This is a sublime smooth recording.....

Do or do not, there is no try
markof

Post by markof »

Last edited by markof on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

I am enjoying the hell out of this these days!
Go Thelonius !
Seán

Post by Seán »

Fran wrote:Image
Ah, the late, great Art Pepper, what a wonderful musician he was.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

dhyantyke wrote:I am enjoying the hell out of this these days!
Go Thelonius !
I am delighted, I love Monk too. That was a lovely compact group. Charlie Rouse played with Monk for several year, he was a beautiful tenor player, he graced the Ellington Orchestra for a year or so in the later forties too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán wrote:
Go Thelonius !
I am delighted, I love Monk too. That was a lovely compact group. Charlie Rouse played with Monk for several year, he was a beautiful tenor player, he graced the Ellington Orchestra for a year or so in the later forties too.

Thanks Sean. I also have a few early Monk and a live with Coltrane at Carnegie Hall. Can you reccommend a couple other recordings?
I know you are a Stan Getz fan so I'll offer this for comment: I've only got the 'Sweet Rain' album but I don't connect emotionally with it in the way that Monk grabs me and draws me into the music.
Different genres?
Seán

Post by Seán »

dhyantyke wrote:
Seán wrote:
Go Thelonius !

Thanks Sean. I also have a few early Monk and a live with Coltrane at Carnegie Hall. Can you reccommend a couple other recordings?
I know you are a Stan Getz fan so I'll offer this for comment: I've only got the 'Sweet Rain' album but I don't connect emotionally with it in the way that Monk grabs me and draws me into the music.
Different genres?
An entirely different rhythmic pulse to be honest. Sweet Rain is marevllous though.

As for Monk, his music is very dinstictive, it's very much his own. Monk's Underground album is very good and you will get it and four more on this fine collection on Amazon.fr for €15:

http://www.amazon.fr/Original-Album-Cla ... 766&sr=8-3

and/or Monk with a variety of Jazz artists on this fine collection of 8 albums on amazon.fr for less than €9:
http://www.amazon.fr/8-Classic-Albums-T ... pd_sim_m_3
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X