Anyone tried JPlay?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Re: Anyone tried JPlay?

Post by Sligolad »

Hi Ken,
Have not had the chance to do any comparisons yet but the moment I turned it on last night I knew it was special, so much so I skipped work today and spent hours just listening to music.....have not done that in a long time!

The only change I made today was to go back to Total Commander again today on the laptop with JRiver in server mode and I convinced myself it sounded better again, this change was not nearly as convincing as the Zuma though but I will stick with it.

Next project will be to start sticking some of the 3M emi shielding (real foo but some people swear by it) I bought last year planning to do a custom build (never happened as you can see) all over the inside of the Zuma and the SSD.

Hope to stop tinkering then and start listening to music again, the great thing is you can start listening to albums you thought you knew we'll and start hearing new stuff you never heard before.
It's great to see PC playback finally coming of age thanks to the guys at JPlay.

Post by tony »

When Pearse gets back to terra firma I suggest bringing my set up which is fairly portable (2 laptops and the jkdac32) to Pearse's and compare the sound from both. Would be curious using a direct comparison between it on a level playing field i.e 2 jkdac32's. All we would need then is JK with all the new experience he has gained with level matched testing in the uk to make sure we get accurate test results.

BTW Fired up TC tonight to give it a try. It is another free or virtually free upgrade.

Thanks for the explaination Pearse. The work you have done and are planning to do with the zuma is similar to some of the stuff Ken has spoke about. What I really like about all this stuff is that anybody can dial in at whatever level they wish and great playback is available at really relatively small money compared to some hifi spends.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Hey guys, would love to get a listen to the Meitner & bring along some of my own endeavours.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote:Hey guys, would love to get a listen to the Meitner & bring along some of my own endeavours.
Of course John. In this instance the suggested comparison if we can arrange it is comparing this 'zuma server' set up against a 2 laptop set up using a jkdac32 as that is what we have two of. I very much want to hear your 'endeavours' against the meitner.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I will be around from the 22nd Feb Tony so can do some comparisons any time from then, if more than 3 bodies then it will get a bit cramped in my place so if this grows a bit I am willing to bring the Meitner, Zuma and Laptop to any other larger listening space on offer.
Would be interested in comparing DACS and various PC based playback systems.

Post by Diapason »

Can I gate crash?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote:Can I gate crash?
I suppose so I need you to remove that greig yoke from my premises!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Filed beside the other coasters, I hope.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Claus

Post by Claus »

Would love to crash as well if there is space. ;)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

ditto

This time I can bring a non-PC transport + dac if it would be useful to provide a counterpoint

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try