Looking for headphone amp

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Maciej

Looking for headphone amp

Post by Maciej »

Hello,

I am looking for dedicated desktop headphone amplifier (no DAC/amp USB powered combo and not full size amplifier with headphone socket) suitable to drive AKG K701.
Budget 200-400€

Please drop me PM if you have something that should work well with those headphones......or you think it might;)

Thanks
Maciej
tony

Re: Looking for headphone amp

Post by tony »

Hi Maciej, At that budget little Dot Mkiv or iii. Get it off David ZheZhe on Ebay. Heard it with AKG's and it works very well. Really nice headphone valve amp well able to drive the k701's and lovely sound to boot. I have a cayin ha-1a. They are more expensive and can drive speakers and also be used as a preamp. They are a step above the little dot by a fair bit but so is the price. I got mine from the US so it is 110v but cost around €700-800 if I remember right and that was in a sale. They are around a €1k in europe. Nice thing at your budge is that you will get a brand new little dot for that price. K701's would be my favourite went for them over the hd650's I prefer the clean detailed sound.

Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-MK-I ... 2c6bbabe6b
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Thanks Tony for prompt reply.

Little dot was one of the options I was considering.

Cain was actually recommended today by my aquatinted shop in Poland. I was talking to the owner and first thing he said before I’ve mentioned about my budget that this will work great with AKG's......but it was too expensive to me as he quoted 2800 polish zloty which is around 700€

Another option was Schiit Asgard but I read at least 2 reviews in which the reviewer said that this will work fine with many headphones apart from K701 ;)

I found this one from Vincent that is very modestly priced but there is very little about it as in any case of any Vincent equipment....Vincent khv-111.I can get it for 250€

Another one is from polish add website.

http://allegro.pl/wzmacniacz-lampowy-sl ... 57261.html

The guy makes them in 2 versions for low impedance 16-60ohm and over 60-300 so perhaps that should be option too.

Regards
tony

Post by tony »

That one on the link looks very nice. Can you get to hear it? I have heard some schit models pardon the pun but cant remember the ones. It was at a hifi show. They were very nice also. At your budget the one I know is the mkiii. If it is only for headphone listening they work great with the akg's. I only went for the cayin as a polish lad on the forum recommended it and when I did the research felt it would be a better all round choice. To be honest the little dot should be fine. The other ones will need somebody else to comment. Try and get to hear whichever you go for before buying as you probably know the akg's can be hard to drive. Best of luck with the search
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
dgdgdgdgdg

Post by dgdgdgdgdg »

Hi there
I have this - may be persuaded to part with it...
Damian
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... +headphone
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Thanks Tony for your recommendation,

Checking on Schiit LYR, NVA AP-10H or HEED canamp…..will see.
Dgdgdgdgdg please check you PM.

Regards
Maciej