Should we continue with Listening Projects through 2013?

Should we continue with Listening Project in 2013?

Yes, I would like members to carry on with monthly projects in 2013.
89%
I don't really care as it doesn't interest me.
No votes
No, it has run its course and should end in January 2013.
11%

Total votes: 9

markof

Re: Should we continue with Listening Projects through 2013?

Post by markof »

I really like the listening projects and hope that they continue into the future.

As a classical neophyte, the forum exposes me to a range of works, many of which I would probably not stumble on by myself.
It also address issues of performance variety and to some extent quality.

As others have said, there is a range of critical, language and music skills displayed by the members of the forum and for me the bar is high. I greatly value the insights of the more experienced members but my personal contributions would fall into the category of
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture (Martin Mull)"
and would be restricted to "cut and paste" of available critiques.

On a positive note, there are a wide variety of classical performances available on Spotify for low or no cost which could bolster and enhance listening project discussions down the road.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

I would echo the well expressed sentiments above concerning my inability to contribute to the discussions, both from the point of view of ignorance of the music, no musical training and so lack of language etc etc. However, I do enjoy reading the thread (since recently embarking on my CM discovery project esp) , appreciate the contributions of members and look feel the loss if it were to fade away.
Following the Chopin Nocturnes thread I am listening to and enjoying this music at the moment...so the thread is also helpful for the beginner
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán wrote:
Ivor wrote:I haven't taken part at all and only dipped in occasionally purely because I've been too busy but... I'd really like to see this continue. It seems to me to be the best use of a forum such as this regardless of genre.
I am thinking of doing one in the Jazz section, I am more comfortable with that to be honest.

Jazz section sounds great too, but again, I would I'm afraid be a 'consumer' for the most part, being a relative newcomer to the genre/no musical training etc etc
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

The real problem is that Fergus set the bar too high at the beginning!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Diapason wrote:The real problem is that Fergus set the bar too high at the beginning!!
you didn't do a half bad job yourself...I thought you did some excellent writing on Hail bright cecilia....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jaybee wrote: you didn't do a half bad job yourself...I thought you did some excellent writing on Hail bright cecilia....
Christ, you mean somebody actually READ that screed??

I wonder could we do something a bit more like "building a library" where we all discuss the merits of the recordings we know/own and try to get a sense of what might be worth a purchase. That hasn't been so much of a feature of the threads thus far, and it might be nice to tease that out a little more.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:
jaybee wrote: you didn't do a half bad job yourself...I thought you did some excellent writing on Hail bright cecilia....
Christ, you mean somebody actually READ that screed??
Of course I did, many times in fact. It is a splendid thread.
I wonder could we do something a bit more like "building a library" where we all discuss the merits of the recordings we know/own and try to get a sense of what might be worth a purchase. That hasn't been so much of a feature of the threads thus far, and it might be nice to tease that out a little more.
A BAL would be very difficult and very demanding too. I tried doing that on the first thread: The Four Seasons, I enjoyed doing it but I don't know how useful it was to casual readers and may have seemed self indulgent, I don't know?

I think that it is important to recommend recordings at the start of the thread and, where practicable, refer to the recording at various stages in the thread, but that is difficult, I know.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

I conceived and formulated the concept of the thread with the singular view of sharing a love of music with others and my hope was that some spark would be lit in some place that it would otherwise not have been by someone reading about or hearing a new piece or by hearing an old chestnut in a new way. I also had the hope of reading different peoples’ thoughts on each presentation. The premise for all of this was feedback to the thread on likes, dislikes agreements, disagreements and general discussion on whatever point people felt compelled to comment on. Like every new idea people were full of enthusiasm at the beginning but sadly that tapered off pretty quickly. The following table illustrates the comments by people other than the author or me on the respective threads and it is quite obvious where the participation levels are headed....

Thread Title / Contributors / Contributions
Vivaldi: Four Seasons: 14 / 67
Sibelius: Symphony No. 5: 9 / 58
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition: 10 / 49
R Strauss: Don Quixote: 7 / 25
Purcell: Ode for St. Cecilia's Day: 6 / 21
Stravinsky: Rite of Spring: 8 / 26
Nielsen: Symphony No. 5: 7 / 24
Chopin: Nocturnes: 8 / 22
Smetna Ma Vlast: 7 / 17

So I agree with Simon that it is not working and that the idea is not engaging most people despite the various excellent presentations. However, it will not work if people do not participate and by participation I mean that one would not be expected to write a treatise on form or an analysis of the techniques of modulation but rather I liked/disliked the pieces because of the way that it made me feel or that piece evoked such and such a memory or even to say that I do not understand the piece or what has been written about it. To the best of my knowledge there is only one classically trained musician on these boards.
I also agree with Ivor who says that this type of thing is the best possible use for a Forum such as this. Another of my intentions in developing this type of thread was to endeavour to create more of a club atmosphere, a type of “Book of the Month” thing. However, once again that operates on the basis of participation.

Now, do not get me wrong here as I am not actually whining or complaining. I am merely trying to make the point that if people want this kind of thing they must be prepared to make an input or some kind of contribution for it to work effectively. I know that our numbers are small but the people that are here are genuine and honest and are here because they like their music and are willing to give freely of their time and knowledge. I am also aware that everyone is not able to articulate their thoughts as well as they would wish. However, one thing that we have always heralded on this Forum is that no one will be ridiculed for their ignorance or their attempts to learn or improve their knowledge in any given field. My ultimate point is that it is your Forum and it is what you make it and that happens by you being either passive or active; the choice is yours and there are consequences for both of your choices. If you are passive we will not know what your thoughts and feelings are or what directions you want to go in or what changes you want to make whereas if you are active you will be in a position to drive or change the course of a discussion. We have already received some valuable suggestions so the choice is yours guys; take them up, run with them all and determine the course yourselves. We can all only benefit from that and learn from one another which is, after all, what it should be all about.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

My absence from the forum intermittently this year has caused me some concern (and not a little guilt...). Sometimes I just need a break from CM - and, consequently, this forum - to go and do other things. When I am an active member it is pretty much the only connection I have to a CM community and I involve myself as intensely as I can - this can be exhausting. Of course, this is my issue and does not reflect on the other participants. This is one explanation as to why I have not fully participated in the Listening Projects.

It seems like a long time ago since I led the DQ thread. This year I have completed two essays on mentall illness, applied for a doctoral programme and begun a dissertation. Despite that, the DQ thread was the hardest thing for me to write this year. I don't naturally have a knack for writing about music, and I picked a piece that had a strong narrative base from which I could work. Writing about the music was a nightmare!
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:My absence from the forum intermittently this year has caused me some concern (and not a little guilt...). Sometimes I just need a break from CM - and, consequently, this forum - to go and do other things. When I am an active member it is pretty much the only connection I have to a CM community and I involve myself as intensely as I can - this can be exhausting. Of course, this is my issue and does not reflect on the other participants. This is one explanation as to why I have not fully participated in the Listening Projects.

It seems like a long time ago since I led the DQ thread. This year I have completed two essays on mentall illness, applied for a doctoral programme and begun a dissertation. Despite that, the DQ thread was the hardest thing for me to write this year. I don't naturally have a knack for writing about music, and I picked a piece that had a strong narrative base from which I could work. Writing about the music was a nightmare!
Other than the bit about the break from CM (which I never have now; I simply have to have my daily fix; the only time it might be missing is if I elect to watch an Opera Blu Ray instead, which is admittedly rather intermittent) I could have written most of the above about myself.

Other than my BBC Music Mag and waking up to Radio 3, Tir Na is the only contact I have with CM, other than my own library. As I've said before, I don't know anyone personally who listens to CM (although there is a resident here, I believe). As a consequence, I never actually articulate about it, which is just as well, because it's something I find nigh on impossible to do.

Like Darren, I deliberately chose a piece which had a strong narrative structure, because I would find much else beyond me. A few years ago, I had to write essays on Art, Historical documents, Poetry, Literature, Architecture, Archaeology and Religion for some combined humanities courses I was doing... however the section on Music was the one I found most difficult to articulate, and the part I scored lowest marks for, of everything I sent in.

This evening, I have just watched Donizetti's 'Anna Bolena' from the Vienna Staatsoper with Netrebko & Garancha... I could tell you quite a bit about all the historical inaccuracies (by comparison with which, Mel Gibson should be given a doctorate for his services to Medieval history for providing us with Braveheart), the stage sets, acting (such as it is in 'Bel Canto') and costumes, but other than saying the singing sounded wonderful, I don't really have an awful lot to say, and probably never will.

I have read the notes in all the threads which have been provided and thank everyone most sincerely for their hard work in the threads we have been treated to during this year, but I never feel I have anything to say other than 'Many thanks for your work, I've enjoyed reading it'... which starts to sound insincere after a while.

I'm very pleased actually that Darren has said what he has said, because the truth of the matter is that I have been feeling an enormous pressure building inside me, over being able to do justice to a 2nd project... it's not a time issue, it's simply a lack of capability, so for that reason I think it would be best if I dropped out.

I like posting what I'm listening to, what I've just bought and maybe hunting out the odd bargain or two for fellow forum members, but I've come to the realisation that is sadly as far as my talents go.

Sorry, but I hope you all understand.