What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
JAW

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:
fergus wrote:Cheers Dermot....I really appreciate the info. Thanks a bunch!
Now all you have to do is nip down to Tower and get the first two albums for a tenner :-)) Not sure if the third is on special offer too....By the way it was a pleasure :-)) Don't forget, take it slow and savour every morsel.
Told you he was on a retainer! :-))
fergus

Post by fergus »

I would say that Drake's voice and overall sound would be really lovely on vinyl....sounds made for it!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:I would say that Drake's voice and overall sound would be really lovely on vinyl....sounds made for it!
Exactly :-))
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:Image

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Stephen Stills Lp above;he's another artist that always passes me by just like you were with Pink Moon....
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:Certainly fergus! You could try the two below for starters anyway...

http://www.brytermusic.com/

http://www.nickdrake.com/biography.html

Here's another link you should try; it contains my favourite piece on Nick by Ian MacDonald. I can't paste the link right now as I'm on the Touch but if you Google Nick Drake Exiled in Heaven 1 you'll find the complete transcription of the original article minus the pictures. It was originally printed in Mojo.It will put a spell on you as it's so brilliantly written by one who probably had been in the same dark place Nick had been. Sadly a short while later Ian himself was to take his own life.....

Edit: Here's the Ian MacDonald link: http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/exiled1.html
I listened to all of the clips from the first two albums on Amazon and to two songs on one of the other links and I must say that I like what I heard Dermot. I simply cannot understand how I missed out on this artist in the past. He was around at a time when I was deeply immersed in and performing the music of Leonard Cohen, James Taylor, Donovan and other singer-songwriters of that ilk. His voice is very reminiscent of Donovan to me....a gentler version; something in his intonation or inflexions? Nobody that I have known in those far off days or now or in between (whether musicians or not) has ever mentioned Nick Drake. One that slipped through the net somehow but at least I have made his acquaintance now and will certainly follow this one up!
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:Certainly fergus! You could try the two below for starters anyway...

http://www.brytermusic.com/

http://www.nickdrake.com/biography.html

Here's another link you should try; it contains my favourite piece on Nick by Ian MacDonald. I can't paste the link right now as I'm on the Touch but if you Google Nick Drake Exiled in Heaven 1 you'll find the complete transcription of the original article minus the pictures. It was originally printed in Mojo.It will put a spell on you as it's so brilliantly written by one who probably had been in the same dark place Nick had been. Sadly a short while later Ian himself was to take his own life.....

Edit: Here's the Ian MacDonald link: http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/exiled1.html
I listened to all of the clips from the first two albums on Amazon and to two songs on one of the other links and I must say that I like what I heard Dermot. I simply cannot understand how I missed out on this artist in the past. He was around at a time when I was deeply immersed in and performing the music of Leonard Cohen, James Taylor, Donovan and other singer-songwriters of that ilk. His voice is very reminiscent of Donovan to me....a gentler version; something in his intonation or inflexions? Nobody that I have known in those far off days or now or in between (whether musicians or not) has ever mentioned Nick Drake. One that slipped through the net somehow but at least I have made his acquaintance now and will certainly follow this one up!

Music to my ears :-)) You are in for a lifetime's blessing.....
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

a few more to add to my vinyl collection...

This one also comes with a 7 inch EP of 'Bad Reputation' and 'Emerald'.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:a few more to add to my vinyl collection...

The vinyl collection seems to be growing at a good pace Dave....good luck with it!
Cat Stevens must sound great on vinyl....it should really bring out the unique tone and depth in his voice.
cybot

Post by cybot »

You're on a vinyl roll Dave! Roll with it :-))BTW I'd say you're starting at the deep end with Tim... I only have the early stuff; I've never checked out the supposedely way out stuff of his later albums.Let us know what you think anyway...maybe you might inspire me to take a chance?