What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

^^ while Miklos Perenyi plays Mozart's sister's Cello, no doubt.. ;-)

another run through of the Brahms Piano Quartets, courtesy of Messrs Ax, Stern, Ma & Laredo.... I can see why this set is a Gramophone 3 star Crystal recording.... its delightfully scintillating!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ while Miklos Perenyi plays Mozart's sister's Cello, no doubt.. ;-)

another run through of the Brahms Piano Quartets, courtesy of Messrs Ax, Stern, Ma & Laredo.... I can see why this set is a Gramophone 3 star Crystal recording.... its delightfully scintillating!
A lovely ensemble.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

fergus wrote:Coincidentally, more Mozart....

This is a period performance with a difference. Andreas Schiff plays Mozart’s own fortepiano, Yuuko Shiokawa plays Mozart’s own violin and Erich Hobarth plays what is believed to be Mozart’s own viola; surely a truly period soundworld!

how does it sound?
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

I think that it sounds very well JB; it is well balanced and full enough for a quartet. I know, however, that the sound of a fortepiano is not to everyone’s liking but it appeals to my ear especially in ensembles where it is not as dominant a voice as the modern day version.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Frans Brüggen first Beethoven cycle for Philips recorded in the 1980´s already produced an exceptional Eroica, but the Pastoral left something to be desired. Brüggen has rethought everything and now the Pastoral is one of the best ever, one that can take it´s place next to Walter´s, Böhm´s or Klemperer´s, an uplifting, spiritual affair, gloriously played by the incomparable Orchestra of the XVIII Century. This time Brüggen has ignored the infamous metronome markings and his tempi are mostly traditional, vibrato is scarce but not entirely absent, and the sheer accomplishment of the players is indeed a marvel.
The first four symphonies are as good as the first time around if not better. The Eroica is imposing and magisterial, with a momentous Funeral March and an exhilarating final movement, but perhaps the big surprise is the Fifth. This is a very different Fifth, more musical than political. It may not be as overwhelmingly tragic as either of Gardiner´s superb recordings, but it perhaps makes more musical sense and it actually is very enjoyable. Hell, I haven´t enjoyed the Fifth as much in decades!
The Seventh is also tremendously exciting, with outstanding timpani and horns. Once more the Orchestra of the XVIII Century shows that after 30 years, it still is in a class of it´s own.
But none of this would be possible without Frans Brüggen´s superlative musicianship. Like Beecham, Kubelik and Giulini he has an unerring sense of how to mould a phrase, and how to make everything musically just right. He is not an interventionist, but rather a conductor who knows how to let things happen. His Beethoven is every bit as remarkable as his Mozart or Haydn.
Glossa´s SACD sound is warm and transparent and the acoustics of the Rotterdam hall are just perfect for this music.
Seán

Post by Seán »

That is a lovely review Pepe, I am sorely tempted to get a copy of the Brüggen set, thanks for that.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

It is already on my Wish List Pepe and will be one of my few CD purchases in 2013!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image

It is already on my Wish List Pepe and will be one of my few CD purchases in 2013!
Why "few CD purchases" dear Fergus? Let´s support the industry! LOL!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:

Why "few CD purchases" dear Fergus? Let´s support the industry! LOL!

Because I single handedly kept the industry afloat in 2012 with the amount that I purchased LOL!!!