What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

There has been a bit of talk about cathedrals and organs recently and coincidentally I was listening to this the other day so I have gone off and taken a photo of it as it may be of interest....

The interesting thing for me that I read in the liner notes is that apparently the contemporary organ for which the music written by the composers listed herein was for an organ without pedals!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Some more recent listening; music by a composer that we do not see that often around here (except perhaps posted by Darren)....

Image Image
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That looks interesting, Fergus. Pedals came late to quite a few territories, so manual only music is common (and very handy!) What composers are included here? Are xe talking Boyce, Greene, Wesley, etc?

(In other news, this thread has made me realise I've lost my Early English Organ Music for Manuals book. Arse.)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:That looks interesting, Fergus. Pedals came late to quite a few territories, so manual only music is common (and very handy!) What composers are included here? Are xe talking Boyce, Greene, Wesley, etc?

Composers featured are Orlando Gibbons, Thomas Tomkins, John Bull, Henry Purcell, John Blow, William Walond, William Boyce and Samuel Wesley.

This was a fact that I was completely ignorant of Simon.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Current listening....

....super performance!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Current listening....

....super performance!
I love David Oistrakh's music making. The EMI ICON box set is well worth getting.

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I have to say, he doesn't look particularly well on Fergus' LP cover...
Seán

Post by Seán »

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Symphony No. 25, 28 & 30

Prague Chamber Orchestra
Charles Mackerras - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Coincidentally, more Mozart....

This is a period performance with a difference. Andreas Schiff plays Mozart’s own fortepiano, Yuuko Shiokawa plays Mozart’s own violin and Erich Hobarth plays what is believed to be Mozart’s own viola; surely a truly period soundworld!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Coincidentally, more Mozart....

This is a period performance with a difference. Andreas Schiff plays Mozart’s own fortepiano, Yuuko Shiokawa plays Mozart’s own violin and Erich Hobarth plays what is believed to be Mozart’s own viola; surely a truly period soundworld!
Gosh, that's a superb lineup.