What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

It has been quite a while since I have listened to this one but my memory of it has not diminished in that it is so very different from any other treatment of this work that I have heard....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:It has been quite a while since I have listened to this one but my memory of it has not diminished in that it is so very different from any other treatment of this work that I have heard....

I will have to finish my journey through Seventh Heaven before I revisit that recording: now that's something to look forward to.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

well, it was about time I actually made this purchase!!
Jared

Post by Jared »

further to Paul & Pepe's recommendation...

Piano Sonata in B minor...

superb performance.. !!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 7

Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunk
Rafael Kubelik - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 7

Philharmonia Orchestra
Giuseppe Sinopoli - conducting.

It takes Sinopoli and the Philharmonia more than 87 minutes to perform this work, but it doesn't drag, it is a lovely, thoughtful and powerful performance of this magnificent symphony.
I should have bought Sinopoli's Mahler cycle. I wonder if any member has a copy of Sinopoli's Mahler box set and if you do what do you make of it?
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:Image

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 7

Philharmonia Orchestra

It takes Sinopoli and the Philharmonia more than 87 minutes to perform this work, but it doesn't drag, it is a lovely, thoughtful and powerful performance of this magnificent symphony.
I should have bought Sinopoli's Mahler cycle. I wonder if any member has a copy of Sinopoli's Mahler box set and if you do what do you make of it?
I have it and I find it consistently enjoyable, with an individual perspective on the works, but not in an annoying way. I must pull out No. 7 and listen to it again!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 7

Philharmonia Orchestra

I have it and I find it consistently enjoyable, with an individual perspective on the works, but not in an annoying way. I must pull out No. 7 and listen to it again!
Thanks Ciaran, I listened to the Seventh again today and I do really like Sinopoli's approach to it, I must seek out the rest of his cycle.
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I just have Sinopoli's 8 and 10 Adagio which I've always rated as being a convincing performance, but can't comment further.
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra