What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: You will of course be quite aware that the Rostropovich and the Queyras versions will be quite different so perhaps you will need both?!?!
you always need at least two versions of every major work... and two contrasting styles is particularly helpful.... that said, I only have the Du Pre by the looks of things, so I'd better get my wallet out!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
you always need at least two versions of every major work... and two contrasting styles is particularly helpful.... that said, I only have the Du Pre by the looks of things, so I'd better get my wallet out!

Contrast and comparison is always good and, as you regularly say Jared, it can be quite helpful in understanding a given work.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Claus

Post by Claus »

First thing that took my fancy in The Decca Sound box set:

Fantastic sounding! Wow!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I like that album an awful lot, Claus. Great music too.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Claus wrote:First thing that took my fancy in The Decca Sound box set:

Fantastic sounding! Wow!

Decca are particularly noted for their sound quality Claus; their sound engineers were supposed to be pretty good. You are obviously hearing the benefits of that on your recording.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Claus wrote:First thing that took my fancy in The Decca Sound box set:

Fantastic sounding! Wow!

Decca are particularly noted for their sound quality Claus; their sound engineers were supposed to be pretty good. You are obviously hearing the benefits of that on your recording.
They were marvellous.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

It's all about space and timbre, and they were able to nail both of those.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:

Contrast and comparison is always good and, as you regularly say Jared, it can be quite helpful in understanding a given work.

I wasn't quite right... first post was queyras alright but the Dvorak concerto... I suppose that should go in the basket too....

Rostropovich, pulls a very particular bass tone from his cello, it gets you right in the gut...
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:
I wasn't quite right... first post was queyras alright but the Dvorak concerto... I suppose that should go in the basket too....

Rostropovich, pulls a very particular bass tone from his cello, it gets you right in the gut...

That is one of the things that I particularly like about that instrument. The Dvorak Cello Concerto is a fine work too.