What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Jared wrote:^^ for me, Fergus got me started on Early Music & Renaissance, for which I'll be eternally in his debt.

Let's not forget Darren of course, who is the forum magpie... with possibly the most eclectic taste of us all! More power to his elbow..
Yes, where is the lad? we haven't heard from him for quite some time I hope that all is well.

He is now watching episode 509 of Dr Who LOL!!! I think that Darren is just taking a break for a while and I too hope that all is well with him.

You miss him being around though!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
I haven't Fergus... I'm going away for a few days early tomorrow morning, and will see if it rectifies itself in the mean time.

Enjoy the trip my friend!
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:I have to admit that I was surprised when you took up that path so keenly Jared especially at that early stage. That is a compliment because those two areas require extra work and a certain ear I think.
like much within the classical field, EM is relatively easy to enjoy but considerably more difficult to thoroughly appreciate. I am at present, a little way along that continuum, but not very far!
fergus

Post by fergus »

There are two beautifully sounding instruments played on this set which are really well recorded and it is interesting to hear one of my early conducting/interpreting heroes plying his trade too!
mcq

Post by mcq »

A recent purchase. Jacques Duphly's legacy to this world consists of four books of harpsichord pieces. His music is a conflation of his primary influences, Francois Couperin and Jean-Philippe Rameau, although I detect the influence of the German Baroque emerging in the final book. As with the best of the French Baroque, I hear warmth and humanity and a sheer love of life shining through. Duphly could ask for no greater proponent of his neglected output than Christophe Rousset who brings to this project his familiar scholarly approach married with a genuine love of the music at hand. Just like his magnificent recording of Louis Couperin's work, he has decided against a complete traversal in favour of the music which has most moved him. The result is a performance of genuine distinction that rewards close and repeated listening. The quality of the music suggests a man that has been ill-served by contemporary critical opinion. Hopefully, Rousset's recording should reverse that position.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:He is now watching episode 509 of Dr Who LOL!!! I think that Darren is just taking a break for a while and I too hope that all is well with him.

You miss him being around though!
well, the was a little like me, running a busy youth hostel during the summer, then relocating to the other side of the country to start a new job. things are starting to settle down a bit now though, and I'm glad to be back... :-)

I am spending 3 days away in Dolgellau, catching up with a friend I haven't seen in a few years.... it's something I'm looking forward to.
Jared

Post by Jared »

mcq wrote:A recent purchase. Jacques Duphly's legacy to this world consists of four books of harpsichord pieces. His music is a conflation of his primary influences, Francois Couperin and Jean-Philippe Rameau, although I detect the influence of the German Baroque emerging in the final book. As with the best of the French Baroque, I hear warmth and humanity and a sheer love of life shining through. Duphly could ask for no greater proponent of his neglected output than Christophe Rousset who brings to this project his familiar scholarly approach married with a genuine love of the music at hand. Just like his magnificent recording of Louis Couperin's work, he has decided against a complete traversal in favour of the music which has most moved him. The result is a performance of genuine distinction that rewards close and repeated listening. The quality of the music suggests a man that has been ill-served by contemporary critical opinion. Hopefully, Rousset's recording should reverse that position.

thank you for your intersting thoughts, Paul.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

courtesy of Fergus, a new piece to me, one which I've had in my basket for ages, but the queyras version ( which may have been the first post on the new site...??)

At first spin, apart from the music being lovely, you'd wonder did abbey road ever yield a poor recording...??

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:courtesy of Fergus, a new piece to me, one which I've had in my basket for ages, but the queyras version ( which may have been the first post on the new site...??)

At first spin, apart from the music being lovely, you'd wonder did abbey road ever yield a poor recording...??

Two wonderful works JB so I am delighted that you enjoyed your first outing. You will of course be quite aware that the Rostropovich and the Queyras versions will be quite different so perhaps you will need both?!?!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Simply beautiful!