What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

Berlioz: Les nuits d'ete
Susan Graham
Orch: Royal Opera House
John Nelson (Sony, 1997)

sorry, my Photobucket page seems to have packed up...
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

Liszt: Via Crucis
Accentus/ Laurence Equilbey
Naive

I have to say, I rather like this version of what is a very difficult work. The organ has been replaced by piano (sorry, Simon!!) and once again with Accentus, the choral parts are softer and more reflective, offering a more mystical atmosphere, with the sharper, more jarring corners smoothed over. Fergus, what were your impressions of VC when you first heard it? I have found it to be an unusual, slightly disjointed piece in its more traditional form, which is interesting yet hard to love. This version will no doubt help me to understand the work better.

PS Photobucket appears to have thrown out all my album covers from my page, which I'm rather distressed about. Which media do other members use to translate their album covers into their posts?
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 7

Concertgebouw Orchestra
Bernard Haitink - conducting.

This is a powerful and hugely enjoyable performance by the Concertgebouw Orchestra.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Haydn: Horn Concertos Nos 3&4
Michael Haydn: Horn Concerto P.134
Dale Clavenger, Janos Rolla
Franz Liszt Chamber Orch.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Borodin:
String Quartets 1&2
String Sextet in D minor
The Lindsays (ASV)
Jared

Post by Jared »

Jared wrote:Berlioz: Les nuits d'ete
Susan Graham
Orch: Royal Opera House
John Nelson (Sony, 1997)
My new facebook page will contain an 'Album of the week' from now on... which will be updated every weekend (hopefully!)...

Susan's is this week's nomination, albeit amongst a number of very high quality choices.

http://www.facebook.com/jared.butcher.507?ref=tn_tnmn
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Liszt: Via Crucis
Accentus/ Laurence Equilbey
Naive

I have to say, I rather like this version of what is a very difficult work. The organ has been replaced by piano (sorry, Simon!!) and once again with Accentus, the choral parts are softer and more reflective, offering a more mystical atmosphere, with the sharper, more jarring corners smoothed over. Fergus, what were your impressions of VC when you first heard it? I have found it to be an unusual, slightly disjointed piece in its more traditional form, which is interesting yet hard to love. This version will no doubt help me to understand the work better.

Hi Jared, my recollection of when I first heard the work were somewhat similar to your own I have to say although I have only heard it with organ. I found it to be a very sombre work but then that comes from the subject matter which always has to be taken into consideration with works like this. I would concur with your summation of the piece my friend.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
PS Photobucket appears to have thrown out all my album covers from my page, which I'm rather distressed about. Which media do other members use to translate their album covers into their posts?

Worryingly I also use Photobucket! I recall a few months ago they upgraded to a new version/interface which I tried for a while but ran into some minor difficulties with (which I cannot remember now) and I did not like it generally so I reverted to the older version. Perhaps that is what happened to you Jared? To be fair I have never had an issue with them so I wonder what your problem is due to?
fergus

Post by fergus »

It is interesting how I am beginning to associate other members tastes in the music that I sometimes listen to. The other day I was reminded of Jared while listening to Brahms, When listening to Vivaldi's Gloria Jaybee came to mind as did Seán while listening to Bach's Magnificat. I have to get a Life!!!!