What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image

There is definitely a bit of bite and a different flavour to this cycle and it comes highly recommended.
I'll pretend I didn't hear that.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: I'll pretend I didn't hear that.

it comes highly recommended.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Ignore the unflattering picture, this is yet another stupendous Karina Gauvin recital, this time in honor of Anna Maria Strada del Po, one of Handel´s favourite sopranos. Even though she was called "the pig" for her weight in London, Strada del Po must have been quite an artist, since she created roles in operas by Vivaldi, Leonardo Vinci and Leonardo Leo, but it was Handel who secured her place in history when he created the role of Alcina for her.
Karina Gauvin who is no svelte ballerina either, has a stupendous voice and must be counted one of the best sopranos before the public today. Anyone who has heard her Porpora recital will know what a superb singer she is. Here she sings a few Vivaldi and Vinci items, but almost all the album is dedicated to Handel, including some Alcina arias formidably sung.
The Canadian Arion Orchestre does well under Alexander Weimann, but Il Complesso Barocco and Alan Curtis are missed from the Porpora disc.
Last edited by Jose Echenique on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Jose Echenique wrote: Ignore the unflattering picture, this is yet another stupendous Karina Gauvin recital, this time in honor of Anna Maria Strada del Po, one of Handel´s favourite sopranos. Even though she was called "the pig" for her weight in London, Strada del Po must had been quite an artist, since she created roles in operas by Vivaldi, Leonardo Vinci and Leonardo Leo, but it was Handel who secured her place in history when he created the role of Alcina for her.
Karina Gauvin who is no svelte ballerina either, has a stupendous voice and must be counted one of the best sopranos before the public today. Anyone who has heard her Porpora recital will know what a superb singer she is. Here she sings a few Vivaldi and Vinci items, but almost all the album is dedicated to Handel, including some Alcina arias formidably sung.
The Canadian Arion Orchestre does well under Alexander Weimann, but Il Complesso Barocco and Alan Curtis are missed from the Porpora disc.
I have the Porpora disc and agree with you about it. I heard Karina Gauvin give a divine recital in the Salle Gaveau in Paris a few years ago which was a wonderful experience. The inclusion of Vivaldi and Vinci makes me more interested: another item for my list!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Oh, it seems it was only yesterday. I was 14 or 15 when DG released Karajan´s first Mahler recording. Up till then I had been buying the Solti and Bernstein versions. Maybe at the time I didn´t fully understand the meaning of Herr von Karajan conducting Mahler, but everyone spoke glowingly about the glorious sounds he elicited from the BPO. And Karajan was actually a very good start for Mahler. His more Classically proportioned view of the scores, and less trauma-on-the-sleeve readings actually helped for an overview of these mighty symphonies. I am very sad that he never got to symphonies 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Oh, it seems it was only yesterday. I was 14 or 15 when DG released Karajan´s first Mahler recording. Up till then I had been buying the Solti and Bernstein versions. Maybe at the time I didn´t fully understand the meaning of Herr von Karajan conducting Mahler, but everyone spoke glowingly about the glorious sounds he elicited from the BPO. And Karajan was actually a very good start for Mahler. His more Classically proportioned view of the scores, and less trauma-on-the-sleeve readings actually helped for an overview of these mighty symphonies. I am very sad that he never got to symphonies 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8.
It is a pity that HvK did not record a full Mahler cycle and that recording of the Fifth is my favourite cd in my entire Classical Music collection.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

It has been an age since I have listened to any of Mahler's music so I am trying to familiarise myself with his sound world once again. I too have long lamented the absence of a von Karakan Mahler cycle.