What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

The playing throughout this set is as wonderful as one would expect. I was very taken with the charm of Dall’Abaco’s music. I found it energetic and a very pleasant listen. I also enjoyed the music of Kozeluch and Eberl whose music I had not come across before.
You've sparked my interest so.
If you want a preview before you commit yourself just let me know.
Thanks Fergus, I'll be in touch: we'll have a pile to get through. :)
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

The asking price is one of the best bargains ever, and the music is magnificent. I quite agree with Fergus that Dall´Abaco is an important find, since the Concerto Köln recording first appeared I´ve been collecting everything I can find from Dall´Abaco, and the symphonies of Kozeluch are witty, inventive and very pleasing. In fact all the music is very good. A must have of course.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Thanks Pepe and Fergus, I have an amazon voucher burning a hole in my pocket and I have been leaning towards the getting the (Rudd led) Grieg orchestral cd set on BIS as my collection is sadly lacking in Grieg, now I don't know what to do.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Thanks Pepe and Fergus, I have an amazon voucher burning a hole in my pocket and I have been leaning towards the getting the (Rudd led) Grieg orchestral cd set on BIS as my collection is sadly lacking in Grieg, now I don't know what to do.

Obvious answer.......buy both LOL!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

From Grieg I love most of all the Lyric Pieces for piano and the incidental music to Peer Gynt. The Beecham selection is peerless and shows the special kind of magic Sir Thomas could command in music like this.
Unfortunately the selection is very short by cd standards (40 minutes was normal in the early LP era) so perhaps this should be complemented with the complete Neeme Jarvi recording in DG.
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:Image
I bought one of that set about two years ago and now I have ten of them!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Vinyl....

ravel30

Re: What are you listening to? i

Post by ravel30 »

I know almost next to nothing when it comes to religious or choir music. Even more so it this music from the
Baroque or anything pre-baroque.

Well today I discovered such a piece that I very much like. A piece entitled 'Vespro Della Beata Vergine' bu Claudio Monteverdi.
A very interesting piece in my opinion. Splendid is the word that come to my mind when I think of it.

The version that I have is conducted by Philippe Herreweghe with La Chapelle Royale, Collegium Vocal Gent and Les Sacqueboutiers de Toulouse. It is on the Harmonia Mundi label. In fact, it is disch 9 and 10 of this treasure box set

Matt.