Tallis Scholars in the UK charts

Diapason

Tallis Scholars in the UK charts

Post by Diapason »

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Re: Tallis Scholars in the UK charts

Post by Ciaran »

Gobsmacked!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:People never cease to amaze me!
I know, me too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

With that number of people buying the download it might just eventually convert a few in number to the classical music cause; at least they are buying a quality performance by a quality ensemble.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
james

Post by james »

I have this version of Spem in Alium from years ago ...

"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

james wrote:I have this version of Spem in Alium from years ago ...

I have that too! The Kronos quartet multitracked ten times. Quite nice. I used to have the Tallis scholars on LP. At the moment, only I Fagiolini as a choral version, I think.
Jared

Post by Jared »

yes, whilst I am really pleased that our beloved TS are getting some positive exposure out of this, it's all a bit 'sheep-like', isn't it?

my attention has similarly, recently been brought to the attention of EMI's new '50 shades of Classical Music' which has apparently topped the iTunes classical charts....

well, we can only hope that an appetite for Renaissance & Early Music as a whole will increase because of this, although I somehow doubt it.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Just read an interview with Harry Christophers about this, as the Sixteen also appear to have benefitted:

"It's not something to be proud of, but when EL James launched Fifty Shades of Grey, she mentioned Thomas Tallis's 'Spem in alium' on her website. Since then we've sold more than 300 downloads of our recording. Goodness knows what they're getting up to when they're listening to it."

I know what I'd like to be doing whilst listening to Sia... lying on my back (wait for it).... in the middle of a mighty cathedral, looking up into the concave centre of the dome, and all the heavenly images as they make their way heavenwards... the combination of both sight and sound would surely summon up the sensation of infinity!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: I know what I'd like to be doing whilst listening to Sia... lying on my back (wait for it).... in the middle of a mighty cathedral, looking up into the concave centre of the dome, and all the heavenly images as they make their way heavenwards... the combination of both sight and sound would surely summon up the sensation of infinity!
Lovely thought and image Jared!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

I feel I should probably change name to 'TGUW' (The Great Unwashed) or just 'Phillistinus', but what is it about 'people' that is so amazing?