New principal flautist of the VSO and she's gorgeous.

Seán

New principal flautist of the VSO and she's gorgeous.

Post by Seán »

Jasmine Choi has been announced as the the first Korean to be named principal flute of the 112-year-old Vienna Symphony.

“When I received the audition invitation from the Vienna Symphony, my first reaction was a bit of disbelief, to be honest — simply because it was not common sense for an Asian woman wind player to join such a conservative musical hub,” Choi said in a recent interview with The Korea Times.

She was the only player to be selected from a pool of 245 candidates from all over the world.
“I’m not intimidated but rather very excited about this new change and the new traditions that I’ll be absorbing. And it is such a blessing to play music where all those incredible composers like Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler and Bruckner passed through and made music,” she said.

Choi moved to the U.S. when she was 16 to study at the Curtis Institute on a full scholarship. After gradutation, maestro Pavvo Jarvi hired her to be his associate principal flute at the Cincinnati Symphony, making her the first Korean woodwind player to hold a post with a major U.S. orchestra.

Choi has a number of concert dates in Korea starting October. She will be in Seoul for performances on Oct. 20 and 27, and Nov. 26. The first two are solo recitals at the Seoul Arts Center’s IBK Hall and the Maria Callas Hall, and the Nov. 26 concert is at the Seoul Arts Center Concert Hall playing with the Daejeon Philharmonic Orchestra.

She will also perform with renowned soprano Sumi Jo on Nov. 13 at a gala concert in Vienna, celebrating the 120th anniversary of Korea-Austria relations.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Re: New principal flautist of the VSO and she's gorgeous.

Post by Seán »

This thread has caused a real stir over on CMG as my American and Canadian friends have taken grave exception to the title of the thread and in particular to my referring to the fact that Ms Choi is easy on the eye, the fact that this is a huge achievement on her part seems to have escaped their attention. Ah well, perhaps it's best to stay away (from CMG, I mean).
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Sean Sean Sean, didn't you know you're no longer allowed to notice a beautiful and talented woman's beauty? Only her talent is acceptable.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:Sean Sean Sean, didn't you know you're no longer allowed to notice a beautiful and talented woman's beauty? Only her talent is acceptable.
Well I sure do now, that said, we Irish tend not to take things so literally and get so upset about such simple things.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

At least you know you're safe here!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I've just read that thread over on CMG. Quite pathetic the way it has descended in the last day or two.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Seán wrote:This thread has caused a real stir over on CMG as my American and Canadian friends have taken grave exception to the title of the thread and in particular to my referring to the fact that Ms Choi is easy on the eye, the fact that this is a huge achievement on her part seems to have escaped their attention. Ah well, perhaps it's best to stay away (from CMG, I mean).
I just revisited CMG to see what all the fuss was. Freedom of speech is a tricky concept for some of out North American cousins I would suggest...

I have no major issue with CMG; I just prefer the atmosphere on this forum

100% support for you on this one from me Sean :-)
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Seán wrote:This thread has caused a real stir over on CMG as my American and Canadian friends have taken grave exception to the title of the thread and in particular to my referring to the fact that Ms Choi is easy on the eye, the fact that this is a huge achievement on her part seems to have escaped their attention. Ah well, perhaps it's best to stay away (from CMG, I mean).
I just revisited CMG to see what all the fuss was. Freedom of speech is a tricky concept for some of out North American cousins I would suggest...

I have no major issue with CMG; I just prefer the atmosphere on this forum

100% support for you on this one from me Sean :-)
Thanks Darren.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Sean, I was really, really sorry to read through the thread on CMG.

I think the comment relating to 'Pro-Choice' was particularly poorly judged and unnecessary.

You are right, she is indeed a very beautiful young woman.

I think I'll leave it there.
Seán

Post by Seán »

I am reluctant to post this message on CMG lest I give offence to perfect Henry.
Exclusive: Principal flute is voted out of ‘sexist, racist’ Vienna orchestra
August 8, 2013 by Norman Lebrecht

Musicians rejoiced 15 months ago when Jasmine Nakyung Choi, associate principal of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, was named principal flute of the Vienna Symphony Orchestra. Many saw it as a sign of enlightenment in a society often held to account for illegal discrimination.
Here’s the unhappy ending: last Saturday (we hear), players in the Vienna Symphony Orchestra voted against retaining Jasmine as their #1 flute.
We hear strong background rumours of sexism and racism from within the orchestra. Jasmine had been playing on top form all season. Despite being voted out, she was asked to play on for another year but has decided to have nothing more to do with the hostile ensemble.
She is now back on the job market.
We doubt she will be out of work for long, but it’s sad to see Vienna once again reinforcing historic stereotypes.
UPDATE: We have contacted the orchestra’s managing director, Johannes Neubert, and will publish his response.

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/ ... estra.html