What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
tony

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by tony »

Sorry Ivor didnt get to here you last night. Both tuners failed to pick up 93.8fm .I compensated by getting the cd in cdwow today for €5.99. Feel a bit guilty as I should be supporting the high street shops here.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
JAW

Post by JAW »

Got these at a knockdown price in Tower today. I know none of Nick Drake's music. Which one should I listen to first?

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote:Sorry Ivor didnt get to here you last night. Both tuners failed to pick up 93.8fm
Well we're on 93.9fm.... just past RnaG. It does take a fairly good radio/aerial to pick us up and a fat seagull flying by could block the signal. I have to talk to the BAI about boosting the signal a bit.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:Got these at a knockdown price in Tower today. I know none of Nick Drake's music. Which one should I listen to first?

Definitely start with the first one John, it's a classic! Wait 'til you hear 'River Man' and 'Three Hours'. Remember they spent a whole year in the studio honing the material for this, his first Lp.The second is an attempt at 'making it', if you know what I mean and suffers by comparison imo; Still there are some classics there too, plus clinkers ('Poor Boy' anyone?) - 'Northern Sky' (with John Cale),'One of These Things First','Fly' and the three lovely instrumentals that Nick insisted should be on the record - they are bit sweet and nothing like the astonishing string quartets on the first Lp. Anyway let us know what you think and do take your time with 'Five Leaves Left'. I envy you :-)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ivor wrote:
tony wrote:Sorry Ivor didnt get to here you last night. Both tuners failed to pick up 93.8fm
Well we're on 93.9fm.... just past RnaG. It does take a fairly good radio/aerial to pick us up and a fat seagull flying by could block the signal. I have to talk to the BAI about boosting the signal a bit.

Off topic I know (sur' does that really matter?) but as I was posting this elsewhere...

Tuesday Night Music Club 18th May 2010
9 – 11pm on Dublin South Fm 93.9

1.Sleepy LaBeef – Red Hot
2.Rachid Taha – Rock the Casbah
3.Tony Allen – Secret Agent
4.Rachel Harrington – Old time religion/Working on a Building
5.Dayna Kurtz – Love gets in the way
6.BR549 – Hickory Wind
7.The Broken Family Band – The Devil's in the Detail
8.Emmylou Harris & The Nash Ramblers – Calling my Children Home
9.Uncle Tupelo – Satan your Kingdom must down
10.Los Lobos – Is this all there is? (with Little Willie G)
11.Ry Cooder – Cool Cats (with Little Willie G)
12.Bebo Valdés & Sabor de Cuba - Tirando tiro
13.Vincentino Valdés – Cao cao mani picao
14.Perez Prado – Patricia
15.Bettye LaVette – Little Sparrow
16.Bettye LaVette – I still want to be your baby (take me like I am)
17.Ike & Tina Turner – The Way you love me
18.Herbie Hancock & Tina Turner Edith & The Kingpin
19.Louis Armstrong & Oscar Peterson – Let's do it
20.Count Basie – Whirly Bird
21.Ramsey Lewis Trio – The “in” Crowd
22.Paolo Conte – Alle Prese Con una Verde Milonga
23.Jaques Brel – Me ne quite pas
24.Sarah Vaughan & Clifford Brown – Lullaby of Birdland.
25.Booker T & The Mgs – I say a little Prayer
26.Dean Martin – You're nobody til somebody loves you
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Picked up the following on vinyl today....

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

cybot wrote:
JAW wrote:Got these at a knockdown price in Tower today. I know none of Nick Drake's music. Which one should I listen to first?

[/img]
Definitely start with the first one John, it's a classic! Wait 'til you hear 'River Man' and 'Three Hours'. Remember they spent a whole year in the studio honing the material for this, his first Lp.The second is an attempt at 'making it', if you know what I mean and suffers by comparison imo; Still there are some classics there too, plus clinkers ('Poor Boy' anyone?) - 'Northern Sky' (with John Cale),'One of These Things First','Fly' and the three lovely instrumentals that Nick insisted should be on the record - they are bit sweet and nothing like the astonishing string quartets on the first Lp. Anyway let us know what you think and do take your time with 'Five Leaves Left'. I envy you :-)
Cybot,
'River man' and 'Three hours' my favourite Nick Drake songs.The guitar playing on 'Three Hours'
just unbelievable
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:Picked up the following on vinyl today....

Hope these are the Sundazed Mono issues Dave :-))
cybot

Post by cybot »

jadarin wrote:
cybot wrote:

[/img]
Cybot,
'River man' and 'Three hours' my favourite Nick Drake songs.The guitar playing on 'Three Hours'
just unbelievable

Isn't it just.... Did you ever hear the version of 'River Man' he did for Robert Kirby in his room - exactly the same minus the strings; that 5/4 timing is pure magic...

'Going to see the river-man,
going to tell him all I can
about the plan
for lilac time.
If he tells me all he knows
about the way his river flows,
and all night shows
in summer-time'
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

I haven't heard that version.Must have a look.