Adventures in amplification

Diapason

Re: Adventures in amplification

Post by Diapason »

Gentlemen I was off the grid for most of the weekend, but it gladdens my heart to see such fine amps going to forum members. I'm especially relieved to see that Air Tight getting some love! It deserves it.

Dave, any further thoughts on the pre? Does it bring anything to the table for CD playback?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:Gentlemen I was off the grid for most of the weekend, but it gladdens my heart to see such fine amps going to forum members. I'm especially relieved to see that Air Tight getting some love! It deserves it.
Absolutely! The ATM2 has recieved some negativity here, mainly from myself but it was all really down to speaker/amp matching at the end of the day. That Airtight really needs the correct speaker to let it show what it can do.

Diapason wrote:Dave, any further thoughts on the pre? Does it bring anything to the table for CD playback?
I think it has changed the sound a little alright. I'm now using single ended cables from the Opus 21 to the pre. My gut feeling is that I prefered the Opus driving direct into the monos via balanced cables. Now, several comments on the net have said that the Opus performs better in balanced mode, not because of cable nonsense but rather down to the implementation in the player.

I may try the direct route again some evening and borrow another pair of XLR's too so I can have all XLR's from CDP to Pre to Monos.

Vinyl playback is just fine I'm glad to say.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's all good.

I also find that some components are just "better" via one or the other set of connectors.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Dave, I switched from single RCA to XLR balanced between an Opus 21 and my mono blocks and sound improved a little. I can't tell you if it was the balanced outputs or cable though as the RCA manufacturer differered from the XLR.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2