What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Tippett - Fantasia Concertante on a theme of Corelli, Little Music for String Orchestra & Concerto for Double String Orchestra (Neville Marriner, Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Decca Eloquence)

bombasticDarren

Saint-Saens - Violin Concerto No.3 (Jean-Jacques Kantorow/Kees Bakels, Tapiola Sinfonietta, BIS)

fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Janacek - String Quartet No.1 Kreutzer Sonata (Vlach Quartet Prague, Naxos)

I am trying something different; namely, my speakers. I am a stubborn headphones only type of guy, but a change is as good as a rest!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

I like this Schumann cantata a lot, like his "Scenes from Faust" it´s untypical, a little strange even, but there´s undeniable great music in it.
Benjamin Britten and Giuseppe Sinopoli have recorded it, but my favourite version for many years has been the John Eliot Gardiner in Archiv. It´s superb from every point of view, and soprano Barbara Bonney is still unmatched in the leading part, mostly because it´s very oddly written and she is one of the very few who can cope with the weird writing.
The Harnoncourt recording is also excellent. He, like Gardiner, has the enormous advantage of outstanding forces, in his case the Bavarian Radio Chorus and Symphony Orchestra. His soloists are also excellent, and Dorothea Röschmann could have had matched Bonney if she had recorded the part a few years earlier when she was in her prime and her voice was a wonder. She is still good of course, but not as good as she was when she made her heavenly recording of Handel´s 9 German arias for Harmonia Mundi.
bombasticDarren

Schumann - Symphony No.4 (Guido Cantelli, Philharmonia Orchestra, EMI)

bombasticDarren

Mozart - Piano Concerto No.17 (Mitsuko Uchida/Jeffrey Tate, English Chamber Orchestra, Decca)

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

A wonderfully restrained and beautiful recording. This was my introduction to this work and it has yet to be beaten for me. It just strikes the right balance between choir and orchestra for my prefered practice of this Requiem. The inner movements, Sanctus, Pie Jesu and Agnus De are a thing of beauty.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

I had my brother over this afternoon for a music session and he brought this Bartoli CD with him:

It is stunning, I love every single minute of it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler