What are you listening to?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jose Echenique »

<Thanks for that Pepe. When I said text I actually meant the Libretti. I understand that this set does contain the Libretti for all the operas, am I correct?>

I bought them separately as they originally appeared Seán, but I imagine the box has all the libretti, as is usual with DG/Archiv.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.6
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Gennady Rozhdestvensky

Seriously impressive recording. Really looking forward to the rest of this set.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Superb playing of course, but I wonder why Europa Galante is releasing this Telemann concert in a small label like Agogique instead of Virgin...disenchantment with the EMI label?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

That looks terribly interesting Pepe!!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:

That looks terribly interesting Pepe!!
No surprises here dear Fergus, the performances are brilliant, gorgeous and supremely musical, but what else can you expect from Biondi?
The sound quality is state-of-the-art, but this little label is somewhat difficult to find. I ordered it from Amazon.de
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

I also received the Bruckner 4 with Blomstedt and the Gewandhaus (but couldn´t find a good picture, so I posted the 3rd, though the covers are almost identical save for the color).
This is also a very satisfying and musical performance, just what you would expect from this venerable orchestra and their former chief conductor. This is a long breathed and very civilized reading. It couldn´t be more different from the American orchestra´s recordings. While Americans strive for modern efficiency, and note-perfect performances, the Gewandhaus digs deeper into the meaning of these symphonies, and inhabits a very different sound world. I must say I love it. Very satisfying.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

This is also a very lovely cd. It includes sonatas, most of them for oboe, found in the Pisendel library in Dresden. There are works by Torelli, Handel, Porpora, Brescianello, and an anonymous early XVIII Century sonata.
The performances are admirable, oboist Xenia Löffler who also is first oboe in the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, covers herself with glory. This is the kind of cd you just want to play ALL the time.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I also received the Bruckner 4 with Blomstedt and the Gewandhaus (but couldn´t find a good picture, so I posted the 3rd, though the covers are almost identical save for the color).
This is also a very satisfying and musical performance, just what you would expect from this venerable orchestra and their former chief conductor. This is a long breathed and very civilized reading. It couldn´t be more different from the American orchestra´s recordings. While Americans strive for modern efficiency, and note-perfect performances, the Gewandhaus digs deeper into the meaning of these symphonies, and inhabits a very different sound world. I must say I love it. Very satisfying.

That sounds like another very tempting CD Pepe. It looks like Blomstedt and the Gewandhaus have now recorded Symphonies Nos. 3/4/6-8. They will have to do No. 9 obviously. I wonder how many more they will do after that and if a box set will be issued in time to come?
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is also a very lovely cd. It includes sonatas, most of them for oboe, found in the Pisendel library in Dresden. There are works by Torelli, Handel, Porpora, Brescianello, and an anonymous early XVIII Century sonata.
The performances are admirable, oboist Xenia Löffler who also is first oboe in the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, covers herself with glory. This is the kind of cd you just want to play ALL the time.

I wonder if that is a period oboe that he plays? I assume that it is. I am quite partial to the sound of the oboe and the period instrument in particular; quite different to the modern instrument I think.