Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image
Hmmm, Fergus, it looks to me as if the presence of a certain, well informed and really pleasant Mexcian gentleman has inspired you to explore the world of opera in some depth or am I mistaken?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Hmmm, Fergus, it looks to me as if the presence of a certain, well informed and really pleasant Mexcian gentleman has inspired you to explore the world of opera in some depth or am I mistaken?
I am not sure that I would call him a gentleman LOL!!!! (just kidding Pepe) but he knows a hell of a lot more than he pretends and he has been mentoring me for going on two years now Seán. I am only beginning to catch up with the dust in his slipstream!!! However I am quite happy to struggle in his wake.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

Fergus, you must let me know what you think of that work when you hear it, my friend...

So I think we're getting a fair idea of the Tir Na pecking order... Pepe mentors Fergus, whilst I pick from the scraps left under Fergus' table.... ;-)

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: So I think we're getting a fair idea of the Tir Na pecking order... Pepe mentors Fergus, whilst I pick from the scraps left under Fergus' table.... ;-)

You will not get very fat on those my friend LOL!!!
To be fair that may have been somewhat the case a few years ago Jared but thankfully is not so any more as you have developed your own discerning ear and also accumulated a wide knowledge along the way mostly by your own efforts. I has been a pleasure to have watched you developing from virtually nowhere and to have been of hopefully some small assistance along the way.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I think the thematic content of that music possibly requires a little explanation, Fergus..

(looks good, though...)
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Beautiful record! The most convincing Schütz record I've heard!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ I think the thematic content of that music possibly requires a little explanation, Fergus..

(looks good, though...)

Apparently it is funeral music written for a Prince. I normally find that this genre can usually provide some beautifully intense music. All that I have heard of the music of Schutz so far has pleased me and as Ciaran points out above this one is apparently highly regarded. We will see.