Soundtracks, any favourites/recommendations

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
fergus

Re: Soundtracks, any favourites/recommendations

Post by fergus »

Adrian wrote: Image

I remember my father buying this back in the 70's, its a bit crackly now, but still a great spin.
Welcome to the world of vinyl Adrian!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

Miraculous four Lp set from the Doxy label....a much loved and played set :)

A selection of incredible soundtrack recordings by Fumio Hayasaka and Masaru Sato, made for films by the great Japanese director Akira Kurosawa (1910-1998) is now available in a deluxe 4LP vinyl set courtesy of the Doxy label.

The set includes the soundtracks for Rashomon (1950), Ikuru (AKA To Live) (1952), Seven Samurai (1954), Record of A Living Being (AKA I Live In Fear) (1955), Throne Of Blood (1957) and The Hidden Fortress. The 180g LPs are housed in a book-style quadruple gatefold sleeve with full colour artwork.

Doxy has assembled this edition to mark the 100th  anniversary of Kurosawa’s birth. Here’s what they had to say about it:

“Akira Kurosawa’s films dominated Japanese cinema for nearly half a century and his influence has been so widespread and profound that the world’s best filmmakers seem to unanimously sing his praise. He first gained the attention of the international filmmaking community in 1951 when his masterpiece, Rashomon, won top prize at the Venice Film Festival.

“It was during this time that Kurosawa also began collaborating with the award-winning composer Fumio Hayasaka. The two great men soon formed a deep connection, with Kurosawa later commenting that Hayasaka caused him to see film music as a “counterpoint” to the image instead of a mere “accompaniment”. Another promising young composer, Masaru Satō, soon joined the ranks at Toho Studios, working under Hayasaka. However, when Hayasaka died suddenly in 1955, Satō was left on his own to finish the unfinished film score.

“Kurosawa was so impressed with the results that he asked Satō to score his next two films, Throne of Blood and The Hidden Fortress.”
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Favourites include

Braveheart, Moon, Born on the 4th of july, Once upon a time in america, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Virgin suicides-Air
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

a second CD picked up today in Oxfam. This time for a whole €6!(but it is 2 CD set)

Absolutely fantastic!

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Ivor wrote:a second CD picked up today in Oxfam. This time for a whole €6!(but it is 2 CD set)

Absolutely fantastic!

Ennio morricone has composed some of my favourite soundtracks. I was fortunate enough to see him conduct live in belfast a few years back. It was wonderful.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

A great mix of original composition and the now obligatory (post-Tarantino) gems from the vault...

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
tweber

Post by tweber »

Good soundtrack - some good covers of Steely Dan by Brian Setzer,Wilco,Ben Folds among others
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
markof

Post by markof »

For the week that's in it (50th anniversary and new movie Skyfall on Friday)
My favourite JB soundtrack notable for early use of synthesisers and last recorded Louis Armstrong song.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X